||The examples and perspective in this article deal primarily with Western culture and do not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (April 2013)|
An editorial, leading article (UK) or leader (UK), is an opinion piece written by the senior editorial staff or publisher of a newspaper, magazine, or any other written document. Editorials may be supposed to reflect the opinion of the periodical. In Australian and major United States newspapers, such as the New York Times and the Boston Globe, editorials are often classified under the heading "opinion".
Editorials are typically published on a special page dedicated to them, called the editorial page, which often also features letters to the editor from members of the public; the page opposite this page is called the op-ed page and frequently contains opinion pieces by writers not directly affiliated with the publication. However, a newspaper may choose to publish an editorial on the front page. In most English language press, this is done only rarely and on topics considered especially important; however, it is more common in some European countries such as Italy and France.
In the field of fashion publishing especially, the term has been adapted to usually refer to photo-editorials in particular – features with often full-page photographs on a particular theme, designer, model or other single topic, with or (as a photo-essay) without accompanying text.
- Staff (23 May 2012). "Opinion". The New York Times. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Staff (23 May 2012). Opinion "Opinion". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Staff (2012). "AAEC The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists". AAEC The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists. The Association of American Editorial Cartoonists. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- Passante, Christopher K. (2007). The Complete Idiot's Guide to Journalism – Editorials. Penguin. p. 28. ISBN 1-59257-670-2. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- Christie Silk (June 15, 2009). "Front Page Editorials: a Stylist Change for the Future?". Editors' Weblog. World Editors' Forum. Retrieved July 1, 2011.
- Various editorials. models.com. Retrieved 2012-04-03.
|Look up editorial in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|