|Full name||Leanne Nyuk Lian Choo|
5 June 1991 |
Adelaide, South Australia
|Height||1.67 m (5 ft 5 1⁄2 in)|
|Weight||57 kg (126 lb)|
|Club||Sturt Badminton Club|
Leanne Choo (born 5 June 1991) is an Australian badminton player. She competed at the 2006, 2007 and 2009 World Junior Championships and several other tournaments. She and Renuga Veeran earned a spot to represent Australia at the 2012 Summer Olympics.
Choo, nicknamed Choo, Lee, Choobuka and Cheanne Loo, was born on 5 June 1991 in Adelaide, South Australia. As of 2012, she lived in Melbourne, Victoria. She attended Glen Osmond Primary School in South Australia and then went to high school at Glenunga International High School. She enrolled at the University of Adelaide in 2010 to study for a degree in architecture.
Choo started playing badminton when she was eight years old. Her highest world ranking was 26th in women's doubles, which happened in December 2011. She was ranked 30th in the world in January 2012.
Choo has represented Australia several times including at the 2006, 2007 and 2009 World Junior Championships. She also represented Australia at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the 2008 and 2010 Uber Cup, and the 2011 Sudirman Cup. As a member of the national team, she is based at the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre.
Choo finished 17th in the doubles competition at the 2012 Thomas & Uber Cup held in Wuhan, China. At the Thomas Cup, Veeran and Choo lose to South Koreans Kim Min-Jung and Ha Jung-Eun with set scores of 21–15 and 21–10. She finished 5th in the doubles competition at the 2012 Air Tahiti Nui International Challenge held in Punaauia, French Polynesia. She finished 17th in the doubles competition at the 2012 Yonex Australian Open Grand Prix Gold held in Sydney, Australia. She finished 1st in the doubles competition at the 2012 Oceania Championships held in Ballarat, Australia. She finished 1st in the doubles competition at the 2012 Oceania Team Championships held in Ballarat, Australia. She finished 1st in the doubles competition at the 2012 Uber Cup Preliminaries – Oceania held in Ballarat, Australia. She finished 2nd in the doubles competition at the 2012 Thomas Cup Preliminaries – Oceania held in Ballarat, Australia.
Choo was named as the part of Australia's badminton team for the 2012 Summer Olympics, where she will make her Olympic debut as a 21 year old. Going into the Olympics, as a doubles team, Veeran and Choo were ranked 35th in the world. During the qualifying process, their ranking peaked at 26th.
- "Badminton Australia: Leanne Choo". Badminton Australia. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "London 2012 – Leanne Choo". London2012.olympics.com.au. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Badminton Australia: Athlete Profiles". Badminton.org.au. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "London 2012 – Renuga Veeran". London2012.olympics.com.au. 20 June 1986. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "China defeat England 5–0 in Wuhan". 7M sport. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Australian Olympic badminton team named". Nine MSN. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- "Aussies name badminton line-up – ABC Grandstand Sport (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.net.au. 14 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-19.
- AAP (15 June 2012). "Bendigo's Warfe named in Olympic squad – Local News – Sport – Badminton". Bendigo Advertiser. Retrieved 2012-06-19.