Leanne Hinton speaking at an Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival conference, 2008
Leanne Hinton is an emerita professor of linguistics at the University of California at Berkeley. She specializes in American Indian languages, sociolinguistics, and language revitalization. She has been described as "an authority on how and why languages are being lost, the significance of language diversity, and the ways in which indigenous tongues can be revitalized before it's too late." "She first worked with Native American groups on bilingual education, orthographic design and literature development. After joining the Berkeley faculty in 1978, Hinton began working with California languages."
Dr. Hinton is a director of the Survey of California and Other Indian Languages (SCOIL), and also participates in language revitalization efforts and organizations, including the Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival and its biennial Breath of Life conferences, for which she is a consulting board member. In collaboration with Andrew Garrett, Hinton has also directed a project to digitize many of the SCOIL records, which are now available through the California Language Archive.
- Hinton, Leanne (2013). Bringing Our Languages Home: Language Revitalization for Families. Berkeley: Heyday Books. ISBN 978-1597142007.
- Hinton, Leanne (2006). Sound Symbolism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-02677-2.
- Hinton, Leanne (2002). How to Keep Your Language Alive. Berkeley: Heyday Books. ISBN 978-1-890771-42-3.
- Hale, Kenneth (co-editor) (2001). The Green Book of Language Revitalization in Practice. Boston: Academic Press. ISBN 978-0-12-349354-5.
- Hinton, Leanne (2000). Ishi's Tale of Lizard (1st ed.). Heyday Books. ISBN 1-890771-32-5.
- Hinton, Leanne (1998). Studies in American Indian Languages. Berkeley: University of California Press. ISBN 978-0-520-09789-6.
- Hinton, Leanne (1993). Flutes of Fire. Berkeley: Heyday Books. ISBN 978-0-930588-62-5.
- Hinton, Leanne (1984). Havasupai Songs: a Linguistic Perspective. City: John Benjamins Pub Co. ISBN 978-3-87808-356-6.
- Hinton, Leanne (1984). A Dictionary of the Havasupai Language. Havasupai Tribe. ASIN B0006YSJ6W
- Hinton, Leanne (1984). Spirit Mountain. Tucson: Sun Tracks and the University of Arizona Press. ISBN 978-0-8165-0817-4.