In the game of bridge, Leaping Michaels is a conventional overcall in 4♣ or 4♦ made in defense to opposing 2-level or 3-level preemptive openings. Leaping Michaels shows a strong two-suited hand (5-5 or longer) that is less suitable for a takeout double and is game forcing. Described as an overcall by some  of a weak two-bid of a major, others  expand its application to all weak preempts at the 2 or 3-level in both the majors and minors.
Holding such two-suited hands and using Leaping Michaels, opponent's opening preempts between 2♦ and 3♠ inclusive are overcalled in accordance with the following table:
|Overcaller's use of Leaping Michaels|
|Bid||Meaning: overcaller is two-suited in...|
|2♦ or 3♦||4♣||Clubs and an undisclosed major|
|2♦ or 3♦||4♦||Majors|
|2♥ or 3♥||4♣||Clubs and spades|
|2♥ or 3♥||4♦||Diamonds and spades|
|2♠ or 3♠||4♣||Clubs and hearts|
|2♠ or 3♠||4♦||Diamonds and hearts|
|3♣||4♦||Diamonds and an undisclosed major|
After (3♦) – 4♣, a bid of 4♦ asks for the major. The bids 4♥ and 4♠ are to play.
Following (3♣) – 4♦ the bid of 4♥ is played as pass-or-correct.
Some partnerships prefer to interchange the meanings of the 4♣ and 4♦ bids following a 3♣ preempt so that 4♣ denotes diamonds and an undisclosed major. This has the advantage that the 4♦ becomes available to ask for the major suit. The 4♥/4♠ responses can then be played as natural (to play).
Leaping Michaels can be utilised after natural two-level preempts, but also after conventional preempts such as Muiderberg. Even after a Multi 2 diamonds preempt, Leaping Michaels can be utilised to good effect:
- (2♦) – 4♣ : Clubs and an undisclosed major (4♦ asks for the major)
- (2♦) – 4♦ : Diamonds and an undisclosed major (4♥ is pass-or-correct)
- Francis, Henry G., Editor-in-Chief; Truscott, Alan F., Executive Editor; Francis, Dorthy A., Editor, Sixth Edition (2001). The Official Encyclopedia of Bridge (6th ed.). Memphis, TN: American Contract Bridge League. p. 266. ISBN 0-943855-44-6. OCLC 49606900.
- Kearse, Amalya (1990). Bridge Conventions Complete (Revised and expanded ed.). Louisville, KY: Devyn Press Inc. ISBN 0-910791-76-7.
- Leaping Michaels at the BridgeHands website
- Simon's Convention List website