Leavenworth High School
|Leavenworth High School|
|2012 10th Avenue
Leavenworth, Kansas 66048
|School type||Public, High School|
|School board||BOE website|
|School district||Leavenworth USD 453|
|Superintendent||Bret Church, Interim|
|President||Nancy Klemp, USD 453 BOE|
|Vice principal||Christina Lentz|
|Asst. Principal||Stacey Cole|
|Assistant principals||Shawn Terry
|Chief custodian||Kevin Murawski|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||17:1|
|Hours in school day||7 hours|
|Slogan||Home of the Pioneers|
|Athletics conference||Sunflower League|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Football, Softball, Volleyball, Wrestling, and many more|
|Rival||Lansing High School|
|Alumni||See Notable Alumni section|
Leavenworth High School, located in Leavenworth, Kansas, was established in 1865, making it one of the first high schools in Kansas. Students studied Latin, Math, Rhetoric, Science, Caesar and Virgil like their counterparts from the East Coast.
The first building to house the high school was a renovated church. In 1904 the taxpayers of Leavenworth authorized a new building for the high school at the corner of 4th and Chestnut. In 1932 the building was destroyed by fire. A new building was soon erected at the same site in time to begin classes in the fall of 1933.
When the high school was moved to its present site at 2012 10th Avenue in 1959, the old building became East Junior High School. In 1990 the high school was renovated and changed from a campus style to the present layout. Although Latin and Virgil are no longer offered at LHS, students currently choose from over one hundred other course offerings. It underwent renovation in 2010 for new room and Performance Arts Center. It teaches grades 9 to 12.
The Pioneers compete in the Sunflower League and are classified as a 5A school, the second-largest classification in Kansas according to the Kansas State High School Activities Association. Throughout its history, Leavenworth has won 22 state championships in various sports.
- Melissa Etheridge, musician
- Gary Foster, American instrumentalist
- Norman Foster Ramsey, Jr., winner of the 1989 Nobel Prize in Physics
- Wayne Simien, former player NBA (Miami Heat)
- Edwin Emery Slosson, editor, author and chemist
- Theresa Vail, Miss Kansas 2013
- Leavenworth HS Location; www.usd453.org
- District Administration
- School Administration
- Jeff Baxter, 2014 Kansas Teacher of the Year
- Extracurricular Activities
- Brendel, Dale (October 12, 2010). "Leavenworth's own Melissa Etheridge lets us .... inside her window". Leavenworth Times. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- "This and That". Leavenworth Times (Newspapers.com). July 15, 1974. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- "KSHSAA inducts Wayne Simien into Hall of Fame". Lawrence Journal World. March 2, 2012. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- "Edwin E. Slosson papers, 1896-1937". WorldCat. Retrieved October 5, 2014.
- Richmeier, John (September 28, 2013). "Leavenworth High grad enjoys Miss America experience". Leavenworth Times. Retrieved October 5, 2014.