|Lectionary ℓ 217|
|Size||23.8 cm by 19 cm|
Lectionary 217, designated by siglum ℓ 217 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering) is a Greek manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 13th century. Scrivener labelled it by 241evl.
The codex contains lessons from the Gospels of John, Matthew, Luke lectionary (Evangelistarium), on 154 parchment leaves (23.8 cm by 19 cm), with only one lacuna (the last leaf). The text is written in Greek minuscule letters, in two columns per page, 27 lines per page. It contains illuminations.
According to Scrivener it is "a poor copy".
Of the history of the codex nothing is known until the year 1864, when it was in the possession of a dealer at Janina in Epeiros. It was then purchased from him by a representative of Baroness Burdett-Coutts (1814–1906), a philanthropist, along with other Greek manuscripts. They were transported to England in 1870-1871. The manuscript was presented by Burdett-Coutts to Sir Roger Cholmely's School, and was housed at the Highgate (Burdett-Coutts I. 23), in London.
The manuscript was added to the list of New Testament manuscripts by Scrivener (number 241) and Gregory (number 217). Gregory saw it in 1883.
The manuscript is not cited in the critical editions of the Greek New Testament (UBS3).
See also 
Notes and references 
- Aland, Kurt; M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 231. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Handschriftenliste at the INTF
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament, Vol. 1 (4th ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 344.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments, Vol. 1. Leipzig. p. 405.
- Parker, Franklin (1995). [0826512569 George Peabody, a biography] Check
|url=scheme (help). Vanderbilt University Press. p. 107.
- Robert Mathiesen, An Important Greek Manuscript Rediscovered and Redated (Codex Burdett-Coutts III.42), The Harvard Theological Review, Vol. 76, No. 1 (Jan., 1983), pp. 131-133.
- The Greek New Testament, ed. K. Aland, A. Black, C. M. Martini, B. M. Metzger, and A. Wikgren, in cooperation with INTF, United Bible Societies, 3rd edition, (Stuttgart 1983), pp. XXVIII, XXX.