|Lectionary ℓ 219|
|Size||27 cm by 21.5 cm|
Lectionary 219, designated by siglum ℓ 219 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering) is a Greek manuscript of the New Testament, on parchment. Palaeographically it has been assigned to the 11th century. Scrivener labelled it by 243evl.
The codex contains lessons from the Gospels of John, Matthew, Luke lectionary (Evangelistarium), on 319 parchment leaves (27 cm by 21.5 cm), with only one lacuna (the first leaf with John 1:1-17 and nine leaves at the end). Nine leaves at the end were supplemented by a later hand.
There are weekday Gospel lessons.
Of the history of the codex nothing is known until the year 1864, when it was in the possession of a dealer at Janina in Epeiros. It was then purchased from him by a representative of Baroness Burdett-Coutts (1814–1906), a philanthropist, along with other Greek manuscripts. They were transported to England in 1870-1871. The manuscript was presented by Burdett-Coutts to Sir Roger Cholmely's School, and was housed at the Highgate (Burdett-Coutts II. 5), in London.
The manuscript was added to the list of New Testament manuscripts by Scrivener (number 243) and Gregory (number 218). Gregory saw it in 1883.
The manuscript is sporadically cited in the critical editions of the Greek New Testament (UBS3).
Notes and references
- Aland, Kurt; M. Welte; B. Köster; K. Junack (1994). Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments. Berlin, New York: Walter de Gruyter. p. 231. ISBN 3-11-011986-2.
- Handschriftenliste at the INTF
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament, Vol. 1 (4th ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 344.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: Hinrichs. p. 405.
- Parker, Franklin (1995). George Peabody, a biography. Vanderbilt University Press. p. 107. ISBN 0826512569.
- Robert Mathiesen, An Important Greek Manuscript Rediscovered and Redated (Codex Burdett-Coutts III.42), The Harvard Theological Review, Vol. 76, No. 1 (Jan., 1983), pp. 131-133.
- The Greek New Testament, ed. K. Aland, A. Black, C. M. Martini, B. M. Metzger, and A. Wikgren, in cooperation with INTF, United Bible Societies, 3rd edition, (Stuttgart 1983), pp. XXVIII, XXX.