|Born||September 13, 1970|
|Known for||Use of adaptive technology in music|
Lee Abramson (born September 13, 1970) is an American composer and musician. He is the first person to write music using ModelTalker, a computerized speech production program. He was diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's disease) in February 2005.
Musical techniques and career
Abramson uses adaptive technology, live musicians and electronic technology to create complex musical expressions, all with one finger. His music features layers of electronic textures, synthesizers, piano, bass, and percussion. His music was recently used as a subject for study in a Michigan State University class. Because of his disability, which limits his ability to control a computer to the use of only one finger, Abramson writes music one note at a time using software such as Sibelius, LogicPro, ModelTalker to use computer recordings of his voice to "sing" on songs, Keystrokes from Assistiveware as an on-screen keyboard, and Dreamweaver for web design.
Abramson produced An educational series of YouTube videos explains the 5-step method of making music with ModelTalker, with a 6th video showing a real-time bounce of a Logic Pro project with ModelTalker samples "singing"
Tucker Stilley another musician with ALS, shared his custom KeyStrokes keyboard layout for Logic Pro, Abramson's Digital Audio Workstation without which he says,"Would have made what I do impossible"
Prior to his physical illness, Abramson was the bassist for numerous small bands, including Violet Wine and Punchy. His recent creations are classified as Rumi music, where he sets Rumi poetry to music. Abramson has performed under several noms de plume, including Ace NoFace, under which he wrote and produced the album Toxic Charm. In addition, under Rumi Music, he produced a self-entitled album, Rumi Music and later, Vow to Silence.
2012 presidential campaign
Abramson ran for President of the United States as an independent candidate in the 2012 election. His candidacy was endorsed by The Daily Swarm. Abramson did not appear on any state ballots in that election.
- Abramson sold pork rinds on the internet from 1998–2000.
- 2009 – Rumi Music
- 2010 – Vow To Silence
- 2011 – Spices
- 2012 – Abramsonium Review
- 2013 – The Antarctic Wars
- 2013 – Maize And Bluebeard
- 2014 -The Bionic Mouth Press Release
- "ModelTalker Music Method Movies by Lee Abramson". Retrieved February 7, 2012.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "ALS.org". Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Wallbank, Derek (May 31, 2007). "Musician won't let disease define how he's remembered". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- Abramson, Lee. "Rumi Music". Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Abramson, Lee. "Ace NoFace Band". Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- Eulenberg, John B. "Reactions to "Lee Abramson One Finger Musician"". Augmentative Communication Systems Course. Retrieved February 26, 2012.
- Bertsos, Cole (September 2, 2009). "Local man uses music to combat disease". The State News. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
- "YouTube Video".
- "Assistive Ware Products".
- "Jewish Musician with ALS Announces Candidacy for U.S. President", PR Newswire. www.ereleases.com. March 15, 2011. Retrieved February 27, 2012.
- "Disabled World Towards Tomorrow". Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- "Wide PR". Retrieved February 7, 2012.
- R, P. "DAILY SWARM ENDORSES LEE ABRAMSON, JEWISH MUSICIAN WITH ALS, FOR PRESIDENT". Retrieved February 7, 2012.