Lee County, South Carolina
|Lee County, South Carolina|
Lee County Courthouse
Location in the state of South Carolina
South Carolina's location in the U.S.
|• Total||411 sq mi (1,064 km2)|
|• Land||410 sq mi (1,062 km2)|
|• Water||1 sq mi (3 km2), 0.24%|
|• Density||47/sq mi (18.1/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Lee County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. As of the 2010 census, its population was 19,220. Its county seat is Bishopville. The county is named for Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
- Darlington County, South Carolina - northeast
- Florence County, South Carolina - east
- Sumter County, South Carolina - south
- Kershaw County, South Carolina - northwest
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 19,220 people residing in the county. 64.3% were Black or African American, 33.4% White, 0.3% Asian, 0.3% Native American, 0.8% of some other race and 0.9% of two or more races. 1.7% were Hispanic or Latino (of any race).
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,119 people, 6,886 households, and 4,916 families residing in the county. The population density was 49 people per square mile (19/km²). There were 7,670 housing units at an average density of 19 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 63.56% Black or African American, 35.03% White, 0.13% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.59% from other races, and 0.49% from two or more races. 1.31% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,886 households out of which 32.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 43.00% were married couples living together, 23.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.60% were non-families. 25.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.80% under the age of 18, 10.00% from 18 to 24, 29.20% from 25 to 44, 22.60% from 45 to 64, and 12.40% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 101.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $26,907, and the median income for a family was $34,209. Males had a median income of $26,512 versus $18,993 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,896. About 17.70% of families and 21.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.60% of those under age 18 and 27.90% of those age 65 or over.
- Lee County Courthouse (South Carolina)
- Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Lee County, South Carolina
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- 2001-2002 Bill 1044: Lee County's 100th Birthday - www.scstatehouse.net - LPITS
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
||Kershaw County||Darlington County|