Lee Evans (producer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Lee Evans, also known as LeRoi Evans and LeRoy Evans, is an award winning music producer, recording engineer, songwriter, musician, entrepreneur, businessman and the CEO and co-owner of JAMBOX Entertainment. He currently resides in midtown Manhattan, New York.
Lee Evans was born in the Sound View part of Bronx New York on July 18, 1956. Starting as a child, Lee Evans wrote, arranged, played piano and sang for young harmony group “The Fourth Edition” a group that went on to win amateur night at the legendary Apollo Theater six times, sharing the stage with artists that shaped pop music as we know it today such as, Stephanie Mills, The Jackson 5, The Dells, The Delfonics and James Brown.
After graduating from The High School of Music & Art on Convent Avenue in Harlem New York City and attending various music colleges, he started performing as a band member and/or musical director for acts such as The Jimmy Castor Bunch, Brass Construction, Kleer, New Edition, Johnny Gill, salsa artist Willie Colón and as a musical director for The Force M.D.s, Afrika Bambaataa, and a host of others. On the recording side, he worked with such notable producers as Dan Hartman (70's disco hit instant replay), songwriter Paul Vance (Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini), DJ Freddy Bastone, JOSE "DJ ANIMAL" Diaz, Music Producer Randy Muller (of Skyy, Brass Construction, and Full Circle), and music manager Donny Linton.
As a songwriter/producer and recording engineer, Lee Evans many accomplishments include his work with singer Marc Anthony in the early stages if his career, Cyndi Lauper, Harry Belafonte, The Force M.D.s, Brass Construction, Rainy Davis, Afrikaa Bambaataa and a long list of dance Hip Hop and latin freestyle favorites from the ‘80’s and early 90’s including artists Cyre, and The Cover Girls. During this time, Mr. Evans became a familiar face in the most prominent NYC studios and musician circles and earned recognition as a top NYC multi-keyboardist/ producer/songwriter/engineer.
After over a decade on the road playing in the major arenas and clubs of virtually every major city nationwide, Lee embarked on several world tours, earning international recognition for his musical abilities. Sadly, the road was really starting to take its toll on his family life. Lee Evans then decided against going on any more lengthy tours. He stood by his word turning down an opportunity to tour internationally as the opening act for Madonna’s "La Isla Bonita" World tour.
On the local scene he did a stint as the house band keyboard player at a popular night club in Manhattan called 'The Cellar'. Here he backed up such notable artists as Johnny Kemp, Me'lissa Morgan, and Keith Sweat.
In 1980 Evans founded JAMBOX Recording Studios in his basement apartment in The Bronx, which by 1992 he had expanded (along with co-owner Cathy Palmisano) into JAMBOX Entertainment, a full service recording facility in Manhattan.
In 2006, Lee Evans (CEO) along with Cathy Palmisano (CFO) and accomplished music producer/composer Gaetano "Dante" Lattanzi of Caelum Music Production formed 4Sight Music Productions, a company that went on to produce the Naked Cowboy's debut album "The Year of the Cowboy".
In 1999, Lee Evans started the AET Audio Engineering Course, with the intentions of teaching his audio engineering techniques to new and upcoming music artists and producers.
In 2004, Mr Evans introduced his latest brainchild "The Gift Of Song". A service that reached out to non professionals and gave them a shot in the 'studio'.
Lee Evans is also a co-founder and the music director of Reach Out Inc. a non-profit organization that educates and promotes awareness about the perils of illegal drugs, alcohol abuse, tobacco, crime, violence, prejudice, and life threatening diseases such as AIDS. Reach Out Inc.'s presentations are characterized by the use of interactive, high-energy presentations that intertwine music, dance, and motivational speaking. In January 2009, Reach Out's president Lori Michaels and Music Director Lee Evans received notability as "Person Of The Week" on NY1 News.
- 1982: Planet Rock - The Album (Cass) Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force (Tommy Boy Music)
- 1984: Beat Street Vol.1 -(LP) -Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force (Atlantic Records)
- 1984: Frantic Situation -(12" Sin) -Afrika Bambaataa & Soul Sonic Force (Atlantic Records)
- 1984: Heartbreakers -(12" Sin) -Cold Crush Brothers (Tuff City Records)
- 1985: Planet Rock - The Album (LP) -Afrika Bambaataa (Tommy Boy Music)
- 1985: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun (LP) -Cyndi Lauper (CBS Records)
- 1985: GoGo Pop (Single) -Afrika Bambaataa (Tommy Boy Music)
- 1986: Bambaataa's Theme (Assault On Precinct 13) – Afrikaa Bambaataa (Tommy Boy Music)
- 1986: Beware (The Funk Is Everywhere) – Afrika Bambaataa (Phonogram (France)) (LP)
- 1987: Touch & Go – The Force M.D.s (Tommy Boy Music)
- 1988: Ouch – Rainy Davis ("Danger") (Columbia)
- 1986: Rappers' Convention (LP)) – EMI America
- 1986: Curiosity Regina (LP)) – Atlantic
- 1988: Revelation (12") -LeSunRae (Minimal Records)
- 1993: Planet Rock (The Album) (CD, Album) – Afrika Bambaataa (Sony Music Entertainment (Japan))
- 1988: Wrap It Up (12" Sin) -MC G.L.O.B.E. of Soul Sonic Force (Revenge Records)
- 1988: Rappin' Teach (12" Sin) -[Daylle Schwartz] (Revenge Records)
- 1988: Broken Dreams (Tears Of Love LP) -TKA (Tommy Boy Records)
- 1989: Never Again (12" Sin) -Lori Michaels (Next Plateau Records)
- 1989: Reach Out - (12" EP) -[Jessie D] (FootPrint Records)
- 1989: Forever In Love (12" EP) -[Jessie D] (FootPrint Records)
- 1989: Let My Love Take You Higher - (12" EP) -Jessie D (FootPrint Records)
- 1989: Tasty Lover - (12" EP) -[Jessie D] (FootPrint Records)
- 1995: Got To Keep On Dancin / Music Luva (12") -Lori Michaels (Palmi Records)
- 1995: Revelation - The Best Of Minimal Records - Rough House Vol. 1 (CD, Comp) (Hot Productions)
- 2006: Naked Cowboy's Anthem - (Triple Play) - Naked Cowboy EP (4Sight Records)
- 2006: Chicks And Beer - (Triple Play) - [Naked Cowboy EP] (4Sight Records)
- 2006: Get Your Ass Kicked - (Triple Play) - Naked Cowboy EP (4Sight Records)
- 2007: The Year Of The Cowboy - [Naked Cowboy CD] (4Sight Records)
- 2007: Naked Christmas - [Holiday Single] Naked Cowboy (4Sight Records)
- 2007: Extremes - [The Year Of The Cowboy CD] Naked Cowboy (4Sight Records)
- 2007: Get Naked - [The Year Of The Cowboy CD] Naked Cowboy (4Sight Records)
- http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p151654/credits allmusic.com Leroy Evans Credits
- http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/127613/can-naked-cowboy-rope-in-mainstream.jhtml#name=features&id=1549698 Can Naked Cowboy Rope In Mainstream?/newsvideo/MTV
- http://www.ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=89785&ap=1&Flash NY1 New Jersey Person Of The Week Lori Michaels