|Also known as||Hongstar, Hongchan|
March 2, 1990 |
Gwangju, Gyeonggi, South Korea
|Genres||Rock, pop, R&B|
AI Entertainment Inc. (Japan)
Warner Music (Japan)
|Associated acts||F.T. Island
|Revised Romanization||I Hong-gi|
Before Lee Hong-gi debuted as a singer with the band FT Island, he was a child actor and made his acting debut in 2002 in the KBS2 TV series Magic Kid Masuri as Masuri's friend. This sitcom gained popularity among elementary school students. He was also featured in Kkangsooni, where he played the character of Eo Soo-bong, and sang for the sitcom's OST.
In 2008, he was offered the lead role in Master of Study, the Korean adaptation of Japanese drama Dragon Zakura. Master of Study should have aired in the beginning of 2009 but due to preproduction difficulties, the drama was postponed to the beginning of 2010 which led FNC Entertainment to refuse Lee's role because of his busy schedule with FT Island.
Lee then played Lysander in a Korean musical theatre version of A Midsummer Night's Dream, where he showcased his singing, acting and dancing skills. In 2009, after a five-year break, he made his acting comeback and took the role of the quirky, but loveable drummer Jeremy in You're Beautiful. To promote the drama, he also contributed solo tracks to the OST, such as "Promise" and "Still/As Ever." He received a New Star Award at the 2009 SBS Drama Awards for his performance. You're Beautiful recorded modest ratings in South Korea, but it became an international success and with it, Lee's worldwide popularity increased.
In April 2011, Lee starred in the TBS Japanese drama Muscle Girl! opposite Yui Ichikawa. This was followed by a 90-minute Korean-Japanese co-production titled Noriko Goes to Seoul, in which he played a young aspiring singer who meets an older woman (Takashima Reiko) who inspires him through hardships to achieve his dream.
In June 2013, he made his big screen debut in the movie Rockin' on Heaven's Door (Korean title: Passionate Goodbye), in which Lee portrayed a rebellious music star who is sent to work in a hospice.
Lee began filming Bride of the Century in December 2013, but went on a four-week rest after he dislocated his shoulder and suffered facial fractures. He resumed shooting in January 2014, and the drama aired that February.
Lee is currently starring in SBS 'Modern Farmer (모던파머)' alongside Park Minwoo, Lee Hanui, and others. The drama is scheduled to air from 18th October 2014 to 21st December 2014, at 20:40 on Saturdays and Sundays.
Lee decided to pursue a career in singing after he starred in Kkangsooni, for which he sang a song for the soundtrack. At the end of the drama, he performed the song live on stage. He was 13 years old at that time. Impressed by his powerful vocal ability, a few people approached him, not wishing to waste his talent for singing. Then-fledgling label company FNC Entertainment Music signed Lee and fully trained him to become the lead singer of F.T. Island.
During the 2008 SBS Gayo Daejeon, due to F.T. Island's extremely tight concert schedule, Lee became sick and lost his voice due to exhaustion. After the performance, he collapsed and was hospitalized on December 30 for a few days over the New Year.
Because of the incident, FNC Entertainment decided to make a subgroup of F.T. Island, called FT Triple, which consisted of just 3 out of the 5 members in the band (without Lee and fellow band member Song Seung-hyun). FT Triple was formed to prevent Lee from over-straining his voice and to allow him to rest for a few minutes while on stage or during a concert. Another reason for the existence of this subgroup is due to Lee's tight schedule with variety shows, filming, recording and other individual activities. The band has sometimes performed in shows without him.
In recent years, Lee has also began composing music, contributing the songs "Black Chocolate" and "Orange Sky" to F.T. Island's Japanese album Rated FT, as well as the title track "Memory" and the song "Always With You" on F.T. Island's Korean mini-album Thanks To, and "Siren" from their latest album The Mood. He also composed Japanese songs 'On My Way,' 'Just Please' and 'Born to be a Rock n Roller.'
He also sang "I'm Saying," the chart-topping main theme song of the drama The Heirs.
Lee also sang "When Love Comes" which is the ost of the drama Modern Farmer.
Fashion & Accessories/Jewelry & Nail Career
Lee also started his own fashion career which opened in June 2014. He creates and sells accessories, jewelry, various nail products and also hold events in the site itself. Official website: http://en.skullhong.com/
Lee announced his upcoming travel book titled to be Hongstargram. A teaser video was released in FTISLAND's offical Youtube Channel on the 26th of November and the official Hongstargram will be released on the 3rd of December.
|2004||Kangsooni OST||To My Friend|
|2007||Unstoppable Marriage OST||Lately I|
|2009||You're Beautiful OST||Still,
|2013||The Heirs OST||I'm saying|
|2013||Rockin' on Heaven's Door OST||Jump,
|2014||Bride of the Century OST||Words I Have Yet To Say|
|2014||Modern Farmer OST||When Love Comes|
|2002||TV Original Fairytale: Bicycle Thief||EBS|
|Magic Kid Masuri||Masuri's friend||KBS2|
|2004||There's Light at the Tip of My Fingernails||EBS|
|2005||Flower Butterfly and Sunflower||EBS|
|2008||Unstoppable Marriage||Sa-baek's friend (cameo, Ep. 62)||KBS2|
|On Air||himself (cameo, Ep. 1)||SBS|
|2009||Style||himself (cameo, Ep. 6)||SBS|
|2010||More Charming By the Day||chicken delivery guy (cameo, Ep. 111)||MBC|
|My Girlfriend Is a Nine-Tailed Fox||Jeremy (cameo, Ep. 16)||SBS|
|2011||Muscle Girl!||Yoo Ji-ho||TBS|
|Noriko Goes to Seoul||Kim Min-ha||KBS2|
|2014||Bride of the Century||Choi Kang-joo||TV Chosun|
|2014||Modern Farmer||Lee Min-ki||SBS|
|2013||Rockin' on Heaven's Door||Choong-ui|
|2014||How to Steal a Dog||Seok-gu|
|2008||Family Outing||SBS||Ep. 13 & 14|
|Happy Shares Company||SBS|
|Mnet Scandal Idol Show||Mnet|
|2010||100 Points Out of 100||KBS2||Regular cast|
|Running Man||SBS||Ep. 9|
|Hot Brothers||MBC||Ep. 35|
|Let's Go Dream Team! Season 2||KBS2||Ep. 15, 20, & 104|
|2011||Immortal Song 2||KBS2|
|Quiz to Change the World||MBC||Ep. 109 with bandmate Jonghun|
|2013||We Got Married Global Edition||MBC||with Fujii Mina|
|2009||A Midsummer Night's Dream||Lysander|
|2013||Lee Hong-gi's Nail Art|
Awards and nominations
|2009||17th Korean Culture and Entertainment Awards||Top 10 Singers||N/A||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||You're Beautiful||Won|
|2010||16th Korean Entertainment Arts Awards||Best Male Singer||N/A||Won|
|2013||27th Golden Disk Awards||InStyle Fashionista Award||N/A||Won|
|2014||9th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Drama OST||I'm Saying||Nominated|
|16th Seoul International Youth Film Festival||Best OST by a Male Artist||Nominated|
- "F.T. Island". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- Choi, Ji-eun (27 October 2009). "A.N.JELL actors brighten up Minamishineyo". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Lee Hong Ki Sings You’re Beautiful’s "Still" In Mandarin". Soompi. 2010-07-19. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "Ichikawa Yui and F.T. Island's Lee Hong-gi at the press conference for Muscle Girl". Tokyo Hive. 14 April 2011. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Hong, Lucia (10 August 2011). "FTIsland's Lee Hong-ki to star in upcoming KBS one-act drama". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Hong, Lucia (30 July 2012). "FTIsland Lee Hong-ki to make big screen debut". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Sunwoo, Carla (24 May 2013). "Not all is grim when the reaper pays a visit". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Lee, Sun-min (17 December 2013). "Lee Hong-ki injured on ice". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Hwang, Hye-jin (10 January 2014). "FT Island's Lee Hong Gi Resumes Drama Filming After Injury". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Lee, Na-rae (19 February 2014). "FT Island's Lee Hong Gi Chooses Yang Jin Seong Over Park Shin Hye as Ideal Type". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Han, Ji-hee (20 February 2014). "Interview: Bride of the Century Lee Hong-Ki – Yang Jin-Sung". Get It K. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- 이홍기 실수, 컨디션 안좋아 병원 치료 (in Korean). New Daily. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "FT Island’s Lee Hong Gi Wants to Erase His Infamous Voice Cracking Performance Forever". CJ E&M enewsWorld. 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "FT Island to release EP". Korea Herald. 2013-09-10. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- "FT Island Beats miss A and Trouble Maker to Top Weekly Sales Chart". Soompi. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2014-04-03.
- blog.koreaboo.com "FT ISLAND RELEASES TRACKLIST FOR THEIR “FTISLAND JAPAN BEST ALL ABOUT” ALBUM
- kpopstarz.com 5.30.14"Band FTISLAND New Japan Album 'NEW PAGE' Tops Japan Ring Tone Chart"
- "FT Island boy publishes nail art book". Korea JoongAng Daily. 25 June 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- "Winners from the 27th Golden Disk Awards (Day 2)". Allkpop. 16 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-01-16.
- Lee Hong-gi on Twitter
- Lee Hong-gi on Instagram
- Lee Hong-gi at HanCinema
- Lee Hong-gi at the Internet Movie Database