|Date of birth:||October 3, 1953|
|Place of birth:||Tampa, Florida|
|Height:||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight:||163 lb (74 kg)|
|High school:||Tampa (FL) Plant|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Lee Colson McGriff (born October 3, 1953) is an American former college and professional football player who was a wide receiver in the National Football League (NFL) for a single season in 1976. McGriff played college football for the Florida Gators football team of the University of Florida. Thereafter, he played professionally for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their inaugural season in 1976.
McGriff was raised in a family with a University of Florida sports tradition, but he was not offered an athletic scholarship to attend the university. Instead, he elected to walk on to coach Doug Dickey's Florida Gators football team, and played for the Gators from 1972 to 1974. He earned a place in the starting line-up and led the Gators in receiving in 1973 and 1974; McGriff averaged 18.5 yards on 38 catches with five touchdowns as a junior, and 19.4 yards on an SEC-leading 36 receptions with seven touchdowns as a senior team captain. He finished his three-year college career with 87 receptions for 1,551 yards and 13 touchdowns. Following his senior season, he was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection and an honorable mention All-American, and was the recipient of the Gators' Fergie Ferguson Award. He graduated from the university with a bachelor's degree in journalism in 1976, and was later inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame.
Life after playing career
McGriff later served as an assistant coach for the Florida Gators, and became a partner in a successful Gainesville-based insurance agency. He has served as the color analyst for Gators football games on the Gator Sports Radio Network since 2004.
- Florida Gators football, 1970–79
- History of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of Tampa Bay Buccaneers players
- List of University of Florida alumni
- National Football League, Historical Players, Lee McGriff. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- "The List: Muschamp Didn't Walk On for Gators . . . But These Guys Did," GatorZone.com (October 18, 2012). Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- Jack Hairston, Tales from the Gator Swamp, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois, pp. 71–75 (2002).
- Chris Harry, "WR McGriff Follows In Father's Footsteps, Chases His Records," Sun Sentinel (August 29, 1996). Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- 2013 Florida Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 76, 87, 89, 94, 96, 141–42, 152–54, 165, 171, 174, 180, 189 (2013). Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- F Club, Hall of Fame, Gator Greats. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Lee McGriff. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- Andy Staples, "McGriff Family has Big Day," Orlando Sentinel (November 15, 1998). Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- 2013 Florida Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida (2013).
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- McEwen, Tom, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama (1974). ISBN 0-87397-025-X.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.
- Proctor, Samuel, & Wright Langley, Gator History: A Pictorial History of the University of Florida, South Star Publishing Company, Gainesville, Florida (1986). ISBN 0-938637-00-2.
- Broadcasters – Gator Radio Network broadcaster profiles