Lee Min-ho (actor born 1987)
June 22, 1987
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||B.A. Film & Arts|
|Alma mater||Konkuk University|
|Occupation||Actor, Singer, Model|
|Agent||Starhaus Entertainment (Korea)
IMX Inc. (Japan)
Huayi Brothers (China)
|Notable work(s)||Boys Over Flowers (2009), City Hunter (2011), Faith (2012), The Heirs (2013)|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 1 1⁄2 in)|
|Revised Romanization||I Minho|
Lee Min-ho (Hangul: 이민호; hanja: 李敏鎬, born June 22, 1987) is a South Korean actor, singer and model. He is best known for his leading roles in Boys Over Flowers (2009), City Hunter (2011) and The Heirs (2013). Upcoming film Gangnam Blues will feature Lee in his first leading role on the big screen.
- 1 Early Life & Career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Filmography
- 4 Endorsement
- 5 Discography
- 6 Bibliography
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early Life & Career
Lee Min Ho was born in Heukseok-dong, Dongjak-gu, Seoul. As a child, Lee had hoped to become a professional football player. He was selected for the youth football class of South Korean manager and former player Cha Bum-Kun, but an injury in the 5th grade of elementary school put an end to his dream. Lee, however, still keeps up with football and has stated that Cristiano Ronaldo is his favourite player. In his second year of high school, Lee turned to modelling and acting. After going through training, Lee started auditioning and landed minor roles in several television dramas such as Nonstop 5 and Love Hymn. His official debut role was in an EBS series, Secret Campus. Early in his career Lee went by the stage name Lee Min because his agency thought his birth name was too ordinary. However, as his stage name was pronounced and written (Hangul) in the same way as the Korean word imin, which means "immigration", it made it hard for him to show up on internet search results. He eventually went back to using his original name.
In 2006, his acting career was put on hold for a year following a serious car accident in which he was severely injured and spent several months bedridden. Upon recovery, Lee received his first leading role in the high-school drama Mackerel Run in 2007, but the series was reduced to only eight episodes due to low viewership ratings. In 2008 he appeared in various roles on television (dramas Get Up and I Am Sam) and two movies, Public Enemy Returns and Our School's E.T.. During the shooting of the latter he became good friends with Kim Soo-ro, who later praised him on a variety show: "I recognize a star when I see one. When I was doing Our School's E.T., I knew that Lee Min-ho would become one of the top actors in the country".
His breakthrough came in 2009 with the lead role of Goo Jun-pyo in Boys Over Flowers (KBS2), the Korean adaptation of the popular Japanese television drama Hana Yori Dango, which was based on the popular Shōjo manga, Boys Over Flowers (花より男子 Hana Yori Dango). Competition for the leading role was very intense and Lee only got to know he was cast from the newspapers. The series made Lee a household name in South Korea, and was well-received throughout Asia.
In 2010 Lee followed up the success of Boys Over Flowers by starring in the MBC TV drama Personal Taste in which he played an ambitious perfectionist young architect who poses as a gay man to become roommates with a young woman leading to romantic complications. When asked about why he chose the role during an interview he responded "I think I would do a better job playing heavy and more defined roles when I am older. I think "Personal Taste" was perfect because it is bright, cheerful but you can also laugh and cry over it as well."
In 2011, he played the titular character in action drama City Hunter, which was loosely based on Tsukasa Hojo's popular manga. The drama's popularity throughout Asia has also contributed to Lee's growing popularity in Asia, most notably in Japan, Philippines and China. He participated in a popular Chinese variety show Happy Camp in December 2011, drawing a large number of fans to the recording. On April 6, 2012, Lee announced on his Facebook page that he would appear in a new drama called Faith (Hangul: 신의, Rom.: Shinui), which aired from August to October 2012.
He also released his first album May 2013 and went on a fan meeting tour in Asia in cities such as Yokohama, Osaka, Shanghai, Beijing, Kuala Lumpur, Manila and Taipei. In April 2013 his wax figure was unveiled at the Madame Tussauds in Shanghai.
On March 29, 2013, Lee revealed that he will be returning to the small screen with a new drama titled The Heirs (also known as The Inheritors). This show began airing in Korea on SBS on October 9, 2013. His new project gained a lot of attention because the scriptwriter was known for producing hit dramas such as Secret Garden and Lovers in Paris. On why he decided to take on the role of a chaebol heir in high school four years after playing one in Boys Over Flowers, his answer was, "Before I grew past my 20s, I wanted to play a more upbeat character, one that would allow me to return to that feeling of simple, uncomplicated innocence that I had when I was younger".
On Jan 30, 2014, Lee became the first Korean celebrity to perform on China's CCTV's Lunar New Year gala. The annual show is known to reach more than a billion Chinese viewers across the world. He sang a song with Harlem Yu, the original singer of the theme song of Meteor Garden, the Taiwanese version of Boys Over Flowers. Lee's appearance on the show garnered great attention, since performing on the Lunar New Year gala is regarded as an honour among Chinese artists. The appearance has since increased his popularity in China, where he has been nicknamed 'long-legged oppa' in both mainstream and social media. Lee was also invited to the third conference of the South Korean Presidential Committee for Cultural Enrichment as the representative for the entertainment industry, to share and contribute to the discussion of issues related to developing Korea’s cultural content.
Lee is currently filming director Yoo Ha's noir action film Gangnam Blues, which is set in the 1970s when the real estate development boom swept across Gangnam. The film marks Lee's first leading role in a film, which co-stars Kim Rae-won. Lee chose the project as he wanted to portray a more manly character to prove his versatility as an actor.
|2008||Public Enemy Returns||강철중: 공공의 적 1-1||Jung Ha-yeon||CJ Entertainment|
|Our School's E.T.||울학교 이티||Oh Sang-hoon||Finecut|
|2014||Gangnam Blues||강남 블루스||Kim Jong-dae||Showbox|
|2006||Secret Campus||비밀의 교정||Park Du-hyun||EBS|
|2007||Mackerel Run||달려라 고등어||Cha Gong-chan||SBS|
|I Am Sam (I Am Your Teacher)||아이엠샘||Heo Mo-se||KBS2|
|2008||Get Up||나도 잘 모르지만||Min Wook-gi||MBC|
|2009||Boys Over Flowers||꽃보다 남자||Gu Jun-pyo||KBS2|
|2010||Personal Taste||개인의 취향||Jeon Jin-ho||MBC|
|2011||City Hunter||시티헌터||Lee Yoon-sung||SBS|
|2012||Faith (The Great Doctor)||신의 (神医)||Choi Young|
|2013||The Heirs||왕관을 쓰려는 자, 그 무게를 견뎌라 – 상속자들||Kim Tan|
|2010||Minoz Japan First Event||
|2011||Lee Min Ho 2009-2010 DVD||
|2012||Minoz Japan 2nd Event||
|2013||2012 MJ 3rd Event
-Lee Min Ho With Winter Symphony-
|2013||Lee Min Ho - 2013 Global Tour 'My Everything' in Seoul||
|2013||Lee Min Ho 2013 Global Tour in Japan - My Everything||
|2014||Lee Min Ho - All My Life||
|2014||Lee Min Ho - Encore Concert 2014 My Everything In Japan||
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (October 2013)|
|12 Plus Shower Cream||2012||Thailand|
|A Twosome Place (Coffee Chain)||2014||South Korea|
|Bang Bang (Clothing)||2010||South Korea|
|Binggrae Banana Milk||2010||South Korea|
|Cadillac CTS||2009||South Korea|
|Cantata Coffee||2010-2011||South Korea|
|Cartier Love Summer Exhibition||2010||South Korea||Charity project|
|Cass 2X (Beer)||2009||South Korea|
|Dunkin' Donuts||2009||South Korea|
|Eider (Active-wear)||2011-2014||South Korea||With Im Yoona|
|Etude House (Cosmetics)||2009-2010||South Korea, Singapore, Taiwan|
|Hyundai Veloster||2011-2012||South Korea, China|
|Isun Potato Snack||2014||China|
|Jangin Furniture||2010-2012||South Korea|
|Jeju Air ||2014||Asia|
|Levi's Signature||2009||South Korea|
|LG Optimus One||2010||Asia|
|LINE Messaging App||2014||China||'Love Line' Mini Drama|
|Lotte 7% Glucose Drink||2012||China|
|Lotte 2% Drink||2005|
|Lotte Duty Free||2014||Asia|
|Lotte Busan Hotel||2014|
|Market O||2009||South Korea|
|Taobao Mobile App||2014||China|
|OSIM uDiva||2014||China, Singapore, Malaysia|
|Ozing (Education Tablet)||2014||China|
|Pepsi NEX||2009||South Korea|
|Romanson (Watches)||2014||South Korea|
|Samsung Anycall Haptic Mission||2009||South Korea|
|Samsung Anycall Magic Hole||2009||South Korea|
|Suphier (Ladies' Shoes)||2014||China|
|Tencent Weishi (Mobile App)||2014||China|
|Yadea (Electric Bike)||2014||China|
In July 2012, Lee was chosen as the most attractive male celebrity in TV commercials for cosmetics brands. The community portal site DC Inside carried out a survey on “The most attractive male celebrities in TV commercials for cosmetics brands, who make women open their wallets” from June 26 to July 3. As a result, Lee ranked first. On July 4, DC Inside reported Lee had received 17,532 (38.9%) out of 45,049 votes.
Since Lee was selected as a model for Innisfree in February 2012, he has been active as a cosmetics brand model in and out of Korea. Before Innisfree launched the brand in China, Lee had shot a social movie called “Cho Ryun”, whose concept was “Anyone can be Lee Min Ho’s first love.” As soon as the movie was released, the hosting server went down several times because of the high number of people, that visited the site to watch it.
- 2009: "My Everything" --- Boys Over Flowers OST (F4 Special Edition)
- 2013: "Painful Love" --- The Heirs OST
- 2009: "Extreme" (with Jessica Gomes) --- Cass 2X Beer
- Sandara Park - "Kiss" (2009)
- 2014: "You're so beautiful" --- "Lotte Duty Free"
Songs performed at fan meetings
- "Be My Last Love"
- "Say Yes"
Awards and nominations
|2009||45th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best New Actor||Boys Over Flowers||Won|
|Popularity Award, Actor||Nominated|
|MTN Broadcast Advertisement Festival||Most Popular Advertisement Model||Trugen Commercial||Won|
|14th Asian Television Award||Best Drama Actor||Boys Over Flowers||Nominated|
|3rd Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Male Drama Star||Nominated|
|Hot CF Star||Dunkin' Donuts||Nominated|
|Hot New Star||Lee Min Ho||Nominated|
|Hot Summer Heat Popularity Award||Nominated|
|Hot Character "(Gu Jun-pyo)"||Boys Over Flowers||Nominated|
|4th Seoul International Drama Awards||Popularity Award, Actor||Nominated|
|2nd Style Icon Awards||Viewers’ Best Popularity Icon||Lee Min Ho||Nominated|
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards||Top Buzz Star: Male Category||Nominated|
|ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice Awards||POP Kapamilya TV Character "(Gu Jun-pyo)"||Boys Over Flowers||Won|
|KBS Drama Awards||Best New Actor||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Ku Hye-sun||Won|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Nominated|
|2010||4th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Actor||Personal Taste||Won|
|3rd Style Icon Awards||Popularity Award||Lee Min Ho||Nominated|
|Yahoo! Asia Buzz Awards||Top Buzz Star: Male Actor||Nominated|
|Top Buzz Star: Male Category||Nominated|
|Korean Updates Awards||Best Actor||Personal Taste||Nominated|
|MBC Drama Awards||Excellence Actor Award||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Nominated|
|Popularity Award, Actor||Nominated|
|2011||4th Korea Drama Awards||Best Actor||City Hunter||Won|
|Hallyu Star Award||Won|
|5th Mnet 20's Choice Awards||Hot Male Drama Star||Nominated|
|Hot 20's Voice||Lee Min Ho||Nominated|
|Korean Updates Awards||Actor of the Year||City Hunter||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Nominated|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top 10 Stars Award||Won|
|Netizen Popularity Award||Won|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Drama Special||Won|
|Best Couple Award||Nominated|
|2012||48th Baeksang Arts Awards||Popular Drama Actor||Nominated|
|7th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Actor||Nominated|
|5th Style Icon Awards||Men That Drive Us Crazy Award||Lee Min Ho||Nominated|
|Korean Updates Awards||Best Actor||Faith||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Popularity Award, Actor||Nominated|
|Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Won|
|Top 10 Stars Award||Won|
|2013||12th China Fashion Awards||Best Popular Asian Actor Award||Lee Min Ho||Won|
|1st DramaFever Awards||Best Actor||Faith||Won|
|Best Couple with Kim Hee-sun||Won|
|49th Baeksang Arts Awards||Popular Drama Actor||Nominated|
|8th Seoul International Drama Awards||Popularity Award||Nominated|
|Sohu Media Awards||Best Popular International Actor||Lee Min Ho||Won|
|Baidu Feidian Awards||Best Asian Actor||The Heirs||Won|
|Korean Updates Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|Most Favourite Couple with Park Shin-hye||Won|
|Grand Awards / Daesang for Drama||Won|
|SBS Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Mid-length Series||Won|
|Most Popular Star Award||Won|
|Best Couple Award with Park Shin-hye||Won|
|Top 10 Stars Award||Won|
|2014||2nd DramaFever Awards||Best Actor||Won|
|Best Bromance with Kim Woo-bin||Won|
|50th Baeksang Art Awards||Most Popular Actor (TV)||Nominated|
|Singapore Entertainment Awards||Most Popular Korean TV Artiste||Lee Min Ho||Pending|
|OMY Hot Star||Pending|
|9th Seoul International Drama Awards||Outstanding Korean Actor||The Heirs||Nominated|
|People's Choice Actor||Nominated|
|7th Korea Drama Awards||Grand Prize (Daesang)||The Heirs||Pending|
- Honorary Ambassador for UNICEF's Love Net campaign to fight malaria (2009-2010)
- PR Ambassador for Konkuk University (2010)
- Honorary Prosecutor or basically a PR ambassador for Korean Prosecutor (2012).
- PR ambassador for the Chilean campaign "Reforestemos Patagonia" organized by Minoz Chile (2013) 
- Naver Profiles
- "Life graph of Lee Min Ho, “Actor’s job is to give hope and courage”". Naver. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Lee Min Ho Interview" (in Korean). isPlus. Translation
- "Star Diary: Lee Min-ho - Part 1". Asiae via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Star Diary: Lee Min-ho - Part 3". Asiae via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "[STAR DIARY] Lee Min-ho - Part 2". Asiae. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Star Diary: Lee Min-ho - Part 4". Asiae via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Star Diary: Lee Min-ho - Part 5". Asiae via Hancinema. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "'이민호를 잡아라'...'꽃남' 인기에 광고 입도선매 경쟁". E Daily.
- "Personal Taste". Tenasia.co.kr. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- Sunwoo, Carla. "Lee Mi-ho still wanted in Japan". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- Esteves, Patricia. "Lee Min Ho: Coming to Phl doesn’t feel like work". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Lee Min-ho visits China for New Year's". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 5 July 2014.
- "Lee Min Ho to release an album and go on a 10-city tour around Asia". Allkpop. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Lee Min-ho adds another fan meeting". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Lee Min-ho's wax figure unveiled at Madame Tussauds in Shanghai". Global Times. 2013-04-19. Retrieved 2013-11-10.
- "Actor Lee Min Ho to make small screen comeback with 'The Heirs". yahoo!. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Lee Min Ho to Return to TV with ‘Secret Garden’ Writer". Enewsworld.interest.me. 2013-03-29. Retrieved 2013-07-28.
- Oh, Jean. "Lee Min-ho, back to class". Korea Herald. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Chun Wan says Lee Min-ho as ‘The most wanted Actor’". KBS World. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- ""Korean Wave" hits Gala stage". CCTV.
- Kim, Jessica. "Lee Min-ho to Appear on CCTV’s New Year Show".
- "Chinese Embrace Korean Word". Chosun Media.
- "人物志Vol.51 李敏镐专题". SINA Corporation. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Jin, Eun-soo. "Lee Min-ho meets President". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- Lee, Jawon. "Lee Min Ho, Meets the President and Delivered His Opinion on "Hallyu"". KOREA ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA.
- Sales, Kurt (5 June 2014). "Tencent: Lee Min Ho amongst the top Hallyu star in China". The Centrio Times. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- Sunwoo, Carla (17 Sep 2013). "Lee Min-ho considers movie". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- Frater, Patrick. "FilMart: Showbox Styles Yoo Ha’s ‘Gangnam Blues’ for Pre-Sales Debut". Variety. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Lee Min-ho done with high school". Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Minoz Japan First Event product info" CD Japan. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Minoz Japan First Event product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Minoz Japan First Event product info" amazon Japan. Retrieved 2012-11-11. (Japanese)
- "Lee Min Ho 2009-2010 DVD product info" CD Japan. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Lee Min Ho 2009-2010 DVD product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Lee Min Ho 2009-2010 DVD product info" amazon Japan. Retrieved 2012-11-11. (Japanese)
- "Minoz Japan 2nd Event product info" CD Japan. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Minoz Japan 2nd Event product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "Minoz Japan 2nd Event product info" amazon Japan. Retrieved 2012-11-11. (Japanese)
- "2012 MJ 3rd Event -Lee Min Ho With Winter Symphony- product info" CD Japan. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "2012 MJ 3rd Event -Lee Min Ho With Winter Symphony- product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "2012 MJ 3rd Event -Lee Min Ho With Winter Symphony- product info" amazon Japan. Retrieved 2013-07-04. (Japanese)
- "Lee Min Ho - 2013 Global Tour 'My Everything' in Seoul (DVD) (2-Disc) (Korea Version)". YesAsia. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "イ・ミンホ 2013 Global Tour in JAPAN-My Everything- [DVD]". Amazon Japan. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Lee Min Ho - 2013 Global Tour in JAPAN-My Everything- (Japan Version)". YesAsia. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Lee Min Ho - All My Life (2DVD + Photobook) (Limited Edition) (Korea Version)". YesAsia. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "[Lee Min Ho] All My Life Photo Book, DVD, Korean Version". 5ive Sense. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Lee Min Ho - Encore Concert 2014 My Everything In Japan (2DVD + Photobook) (Korea Version)". YesAsia. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Binggrae expects sales of dairy products to nearly double in China". Yonhap News. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "한류톱 이민호 게스 얼굴 됐다, 게스 男 모델 발탁". Newsen. Retrieved 13 August 2014.
- "Lee Min Ho to become a new face for Jeju Air". KBS Global. 2 Jul 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.
- "Lee Min Ho is the newest Osim endorser". Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. 27 Mar 2014. Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "이민호, 로만손 모델 발탁". 아시아경제. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "American Toyota chooses Lee Min-ho as the 'new Camry' model". Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "Toyota One and Only". Toyota.
- "雅迪签约李敏镐 全球电动车彰显国际范儿". Yadea. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "First Special Album, My Everything (Korea version, CD+DVD+photobook) product info". YesAsia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "First Special Album, My Everything (Korea version, CD+DVD+photobook+poster) product info". YesAsia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "My Everything (Japan version, limited ed. jacket A, CD+DVD) product info". YesAsia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "My Everything (Japan version, limited ed. jacket B, CD+photobook) product info". YesAsia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "My Everything (Japan version, limited editions) product info". IMX (Interactive Media Mix). Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "My Everything (Japan version) product info". YesAsia. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "My Everything (Japan version) product info". Universal Music Japan store. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "Discography". Lee Min-ho's official Japanese website. Retrieved 2013-07-04.
- "F4 Special Edition product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "旅 Travel with MINHO product info" YesAsia. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- "旅 Travel with MINHO product info" amazon Japan. Retrieved 2012-11-11. (Japanese)
- Who’s hot this summer? MNet 20′s Choice Awards. allkpop. August 5, 2009.
- "Winners Announced at MBC Drama Awards". Soompi. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Winners of the 2011 Korea Drama Awards". Visitkorea. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Winners from the SBS 2011 Drama Awards". Allkpop. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- SBS releases list of nominations for the best couple of ’2011 SBS Drama Awards’. allkpop. December 21, 2011.
- Polls Open for the 2012 Style Icon Awards. mnet. September 27, 2012.
- "Winners from the ‘SBS Drama Awards’". allkpop. 6Theory Media. 31 December 2012. Retrieved 2013-01-01.
- Lee Min Ho and EXO to attend the '2013 Baidu Fei Dian Awards'
- "SBS Drama Awards 2013 Winners". Hancinema. 31 December 2013.
- "Lee Min-ho Joins Campaign for Protecting Chile’s Environment". En.korea.com. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lee Min-ho.|