Lee Min-jung at the Days of Wrath premiere, on October 24, 2013
February 16, 1982 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Education||Sungkyunkwan University - Theater|
|Spouse(s)||Lee Byung-hun (m. 2013)|
|Revised Romanization||I Min-jeong|
Lee Min-jung (Hangul: 이민정; born February 16, 1982) is a South Korean actress. She began her career in Jang Jin's stage plays, and for a few years appeared in supporting roles on film and television, such as Boys Over Flowers. Lee rose to fame in 2009 with a leading role in popular family drama Smile, You, followed by the hit romantic comedy film Cyrano Agency (2010).
Lee Min-jung was a late starter in the world of Korean entertainment. Whereas most starlets launch their careers as teenagers, she debuted at 25 after graduating from Sungkyunkwan University with a degree in Theater.
Lee began her career in playwright/filmmaker Jang Jin's stage plays, then appeared in the Christian-themed indie Pruning the Grapevine, while doing minor roles on film and television. She became a household name in 2009 through her supporting role in the popular high school series Boys Over Flowers, which then landed her first leading role in the weekend drama Smile, You. Her romantic comedy Cyrano Agency was the sleeper hit of 2010, and became the breakout film for Lee, who grabbed five best new actress awards in Korea and rose to stardom.
Commercials and endorsements flooded in, and Lee gained a "goddess" label in the press. One of the challenges of her next film Wonderful Radio was to strip her of that image. She successfully carried the film, with one review praising her as "expertly swinging from girly ditz, through self-centered pop diva (with memorable temper tantrums), to serious singer-songwriter." Co-star Lee Jung-jin said her actual personality is similar to the character's -- "really upbeat and outgoing."
After playing a disillusioned fiancee to an ambitious fund manager in Midas, Lee returned to the romantic comedy genre in the body-swapping TV series Big. In 2013 she starred in another rom-com series All About My Romance, about a secret relationship between two politicians of rival parties. This was followed by Cunning Single Lady in 2014, in which she played the titular character who schemes to win her ex-husband back now that he's rich and successful.
Her maternal grandfather was renowned painter Park No-soo, an important figure in Korean art history, who led the first generation of modernized traditional Korean ink painters who emerged after the country's liberation from the Japanese imperialists. Park passed away on February 25, 2013 at the age of 86.
Lee married actor Lee Byung-hun on August 10, 2013 at the Grand Hyatt Seoul. The couple had briefly dated in 2006, then resumed their relationship in 2012.
|2005||Love and Sympathy||Kim Young-joo||SBS|
|2006||Love Me When You Can||Ha Jung-hwa||MBC|
|2007||Kimcheed Radish Cubes||Lee Min-do||MBC|
|2008||Who Are You?||Yang Ji-suk||MBC|
|2009||Boys Over Flowers||Ha Jae-kyung||KBS2|
|Smile, You||Seo Jung-in||SBS|
|2010||Sunday Drama Theater "Lunch Box"||Hee-young||MBC|
|2013||All About My Romance||Noh Min-young||SBS|
|2014||Cunning Single Lady||Na Ae-ra||MBC|
|1996||The Gate of Destiny||Icarus member|
|2003||Wishing Stairs||Jin-sung's ballet dance double|
|2004||Someone Special||Yi-yeon's friend|
|2005||Wet Dreams 2|
|2007||Pruning the Grapevine||Soo-ah / Helena|
|2009||Searching for the Elephant||Su-yeon|
|White Night||Lee Si-yeong|
|2010||Cyrano Agency||Kim Hee-joong|
|2012||Wonderful Radio||Shin Jin-ah|
Music video appearance
|2006||"Like a Man"||Fly to the Sky|
|2008||"Violin + Miss You"||Zia||Jung Kyung-ho|
|"Doll + A Man's Love"|
|2009||"Girls Like Bad Boys"||December||Kim Seung-woo|
|2007||The Game of Love and Chance|
|Year||Artist||Song Title||From the Album|
|2010||Lee Min-jung and Park Shin-hye||"It Was You"||Cyrano Agency OST|
|2012||Lee Min-jung||"Again"||Wonderful Radio OST|
|Lee Min-jung||"Write the Truth"|
|Lee Min-jung, Seo Young, Ahn Mi-na||"You're My Angel"|
- Omphalos (2008)
- Tommy Hilfiger Denim (2009)
- Make Up For Ever (2009)
- SK Telecom (2009)
- Sony Ericsson Xperia (2009)
- SPC Group, Happy Point Card (2009)
- SCINIC Cosmetics (2009)
- Daewoo Matiz Creative (2010)
- Samsung Raemian (2010)
- Bestibelli (2010)
- Mind Bridge (2010)
- 1-Day Acuvue Define (2010)
- Chamisul Soju (2010)
- Kolon Sport (2010)
- Dove Damage Therapy Shampoo (2010)
- Philadelphia Cream Cheese (2010)
- Skin Food - Mood Look, Watery Berry (2010–present)
|2009||SBS Drama Awards||New Star Award||Smile, You|
|2010||Style Icon Awards||Style Icon - Movie Actress||Cyrano Agency|
|Korea Jewelry Awards||Ruby Award|
|University Film Festival of Korea||Best New Actress||Cyrano Agency|
|Korean Association of Film Critics Awards||Best New Actress||White Night|
|Grand Bell Awards||Best New Actress||Cyrano Agency|
|Popularity Award, Actress||Cyrano Agency|
|Blue Dragon Film Awards||Best New Actress||Cyrano Agency|
|Korea Lifestyle Awards||Best Dressed Woman of the Year|
|Director's Cut Awards||Best New Actress||Cyrano Agency|
|2011||Baeksang Arts Awards||InStyle Fashionista Award|
- "Lee Min-jung Expands Her Acting Repertoire with 'Wonderful Radio'". The Chosun Ilbo. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Hyo-won (12 August 2011). "Director aims to ’de-deify’ Lee Min-jung". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Kim, Kyu Hyun. "Pruning the Grapevine". Koreanfilm.org. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Oh, Jean (25 September 2009). "New SBS series enters ratings race". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- Choi, Ji-eun (25 February 2010). "Smile, You shoots outdoor wedding scene in the cold". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Lee Min Jung: 'I Want to Become Actress whom People Can Trust'". KBS Global. 10 September 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Wee, Geun-woo (29 September 2010). "INTERVIEW: Actress Lee Min-jung - Part 1". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Wee, Geun-woo (29 September 2010). "INTERVIEW: Actress Lee Min-jung - Part 2". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Wee, Geun-woo (29 September 2010). "INTERVIEW: Actress Lee Min-jung - Part 3". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Late Starter Lee Min-jung Is the Talk of the Town". The Chosun Ilbo. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Jin-ho (14 December 2011). "Interview: The Goddess Lee Min Jung". enewsWorld. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Elley, Derek (5 March 2012). "Love On-Air". Film Business Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Oh, Jean (21 February 2011). "Will Jang score another success with ‘Midas’?". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Oh, Jean (29 May 2012). "Lee Min-jung says Gong Yoo is a riot in new drama". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Sunwoo, Carla (19 February 2013). "Lee Min-jung to replace Han Hye-jin". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-19.
- Lee, Cory (7 January 2014). "Joo Sang-wook, Rhee Min-jung to Pair Up in New TV Romcom". TenAsia. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Moon, So-young (27 February 2013). "Lee Min-jung's grandfather dies at 86". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-02-27.
- Lee, Eun-ah (10 August 2013). "Lee Byung-hun, Rhee Min-jung Walk Down the Aisle Today". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-08-11.
- Park, Si-soo (11 August 2013). "Movie star Lee Byung-hun is now taken!". The Korea Times. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Moon, Gwang-lip (12 August 2013). "Lee Byung-hun, Lee Min-jung wed". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Lee Byung-hun, Lee Min-jung to Honeymoon in Maldives". The Chosun Ilbo. 12 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Cho Chung-un, Lee Woo-young (19 August 2012). "Top actors say they are dating". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Hong, Lucia (20 August 2012). "Lee Byung-hun, Lee Min-jung admit romantic relationship". 10Asia. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Lee Byung-hun and Lee Min-jung Admit They're Going Steady". The Chosun Ilbo. 20 August 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Moon, Gwang-lip (20 August 2012). "Lee Min-jung confirms dating rumor". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- Lee, Sun-min (6 June 2013). "Lee Byung-hun will marry Lee Min-jung". Korea JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- Suh, Hye-rim (5 June 2013). "Wedding of Lee Byung-hun, Lee Min-jung set for August". The Korea Herald. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- Kang, Jung-yeon (5 June 2013). "Lee Byung-hun, Rhee Min-jung to Marry August 10". 10Asia. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "Lee Byung-hun and Lee Min-jung to Wed in August". The Chosun Ilbo. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- Cho, Suyoun (5 June 2013). "K-wave stars Lee Byung hun-Lee Min jung announce wedding in August". BNTNews. Retrieved 2013-06-05.
- "Lee Byung-hun, Lee Min-jung Unveil Pre-Wedding Pics". The Chosun Ilbo. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- Kung, Jung yeon (11 September 2011). "Lee Min jung wear skinfood's Mood look". BNT News. Retrieved 2012-11-18.