Lee Richardson (footballer)
|Full name||Lee James Richardson|
|Date of birth||12 March 1969|
|Place of birth||Halifax, England|
|1997||→ Stockport County (loan)||6||(0)|
|1999||→ Bury (loan)||5||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Lee James Richardson (born 12 March 1969 in Halifax, Yorkshire) is a former professional footballer and until 6 May 2009 he was manager of Chesterfield. He is the younger brother of Nick Richardson, who briefly played alongside him for Halifax Town.
Richardson, an energetic midfield player, began his career at his local club Halifax Town, before enjoying spells at a number of clubs throughout Britain. He had particularly successful seasons at Aberdeen and Oldham Athletic in the mid nineties, and ended his playing career at Chesterfield.
Richardson was appointed as Chesterfield manager in April 2007, following a spell as caretaker. He was unable to stop them from being relegated to League Two. In April 2008, with Chesterfield lying 8th in League Two, Richardson was linked with the vacant managerial position at League One side Huddersfield Town. On 3 November 2008, it was announced that Richardson was up for nomination for the League Two manager of the month for October but was beaten by Peter Jackson of Lincoln City. Richardson was nominated for the same award in March 2009 and won it after his team took 18 points to push towards the play-offs.
On 6 May 2009 Richardson left Chesterfield after the club decided not to renew his contract, after he was unable to guide the club to promotion from League Two. Richardson, fresh from his Chesterfield days, then announced his interest in the vacant posts at Burton Albion and Port Vale, but neither clubs decided to appoint him.
- "The Legend of Lee Richardson".
- "Richardson takes Chesterfield job". BBC Sport. 2007-04-26. Retrieved 2007-11-05.
- "Richardson not leaving Spireites". BBC Sport. 2008-04-11. Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- "Chesterfield end Richardson era". BBC Sport. 2009-05-06. Retrieved 2009-05-06.
- "Moores praises contribution of Richardson". 2011-06-21. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- Lee Richardson career statistics at Soccerbase
- Lee Richardson management career statistics at Soccerbase