March 2, 1975|
Seoul, South Korea
|Other names||Lee Sun-gyun
|Education||Korea National University of Arts - BFA in Acting|
|Spouse(s)||Jeon Hye-jin (m. 2009)|
|Revised Romanization||I Seon-gyun|
Lee Sun-kyun (born March 2, 1975) is a South Korean actor. After beginning his career in musical theatre, for many years Lee was relegated to minor and supporting roles onscreen, only getting to play lead characters in one-act dramas on KBS Drama City and MBC Best Theater. In one such Best Theater project, he worked with TV director Lee Yoon-jung on Taereung National Village (2005), which led to him being cast in her later series The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince in 2007. Coffee Prince, along with medical drama White Tower brought Lee mainstream popularity, which he followed with Pasta (2010) and Golden Time (2012).
Meanwhile on the big screen, he received a Best Actor award from the Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival for his role in Paju (2009), followed by critical acclaim for mystery thriller Helpless and romantic comedy All About My Wife, both in 2012. Lee also continues to collaborate with auteur Hong Sang-soo, and his arthouse films with Hong include Night and Day (2008), Oki's Movie (2010), and Nobody's Daughter Haewon (2013).
Lee Sun-kyun entered the Korea National University of Arts in 1994, and graduated in the first ever batch of its School of Drama. In 2001, he made his acting debut as Brad Majors in the stage musical The Rocky Horror Show.
Relegated to small supporting roles for many years, he achieved his breakthrough in 2007 with the critically lauded medical drama White Tower and the highly popular romantic series The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince. Besides Coffee Prince, he has worked with director Lee Yoon-jung two other times—in the sports-themed Taereung National Village in 2005, and in slice-of-life drama Triple in 2009.
Lee was appointed as ambassador for the Health Insurance Review Agency in 2007, and won an award from the Korea Advertisers Association in 2008.
Despite his burgeoning fame, Lee then turned to low-budget arthouse films to polish his acting caliber. Night and Day, Lost in the Mountains, Oki's Movie, Nobody's Daughter Haewon and Our Sunhi were all directed by Hong Sang-soo, an auteur renowned for his realistic portrayal of ordinary lives. Lee also headlined Paju, for which he won the Best Actor award at the Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival held in Spain. Film distributor Myung Film quoted the judging committee as handing Lee high points for portraying the anguish his character felt for loving his wife's younger sister.
With Pasta, in which he played a brilliant-but-abrasive chef, Lee successfully shook off his "gentle" TV drama image, and the series' popularity made him a bankable romantic leading man. Petty Romance reunited him with his My Sweet Seoul co-star Choi Kang-hee, and one-upmanship action comedy Officer of the Year (also known as Arrest King) soon followed.
Lee showed his support for the revival of Drama Special (formerly Drama City) by starring in Our Slightly Risque Relationship (his acting was later recognized at the KBS Drama Awards). He has continually defended the importance of the short drama format as a training ground for young talent, acknowledging its contribution to his own career.
In 2012 he starred in two consecutive well-reviewed big-screen hits—mystery thriller Helpless and romantic comedy All About My Wife. Reuniting with the director of Pasta, Lee returned to the medical drama genre and played a trauma doctor in Golden Time.
Lee returned to the theater opposite wife Jeon Hye-jin in Mike Bartlett's stage play Love, Love, Love in 2013. The following year, he headlined the film A Hard Day, which screened at the Directors' Fortnight section of the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, and became a sleeper hit at the box office.
- Psycho Drama (short film, 1999)
- Make It Big (2002)
- Surprise Party (2002)
- A Perfect Match (2002)
- Boss X-File (2002)
- Goodbye Day (short film, 2003)
- Scent of Love (2003)
- Show Show Show (2003)
- Hitchhiking (short film, 2004)
- My Mother, the Mermaid (2004)
- Love, So Divine (2004)
- R-Point (2004)
- Curry Rice Story (short film, 2005)
- Erotic Chaos Boy (2005)
- The Customer Is Always Right (2006)
- A Cruel Attendance (2006)
- Our Town (2007)
- Night and Day (2008)
- Sa-kwa (2008)
- Romantic Island (2008)
- Visitors: Lost in the Mountains (Jeonju Digital Project short film, 2009)
- Paju (2009)
- Oki's Movie (2010)
- Petty Romance (2010)
- Officer of the Year (2011)
- Helpless (2012)
- All About My Wife (2012)
- Nobody's Daughter Haewon (2013)
- Our Sunhi (2013)
- A Hard Day (2014)
- Lovers (MBC, 2002)
- Thousand Years of Love (SBS, 2003)
- MBC Best Theater: Chakhan Dangshin Loveholic (MBC, 2003)
- MBC Best Theater: Dad Romeo, Mom Juliet (MBC, 2003)
- Drama City: Sweet 18 (KBS2, 2003)
- Drama City: Semi-transparent (KBS2, 2004)
- Drama City: Dr. Love (KBS2, 2004)
- Drama City: Love of a Spider Woman (KBS2, 2005)
- Drama City: Innocent Love (KBS2, 2005)
- Loveholic (KBS2, 2005)
- MBC Best Theater: Taereung National Village (MBC, 2005)
- Fugitive Lee Doo-yong (KBS2, 2006)
- MBC Best Theater: Behind (MBC, 2006)
- White Tower (MBC, 2007)
- The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince (MBC, 2007)
- My Sweet Seoul (SBS, 2008)
- Triple (MBC, 2009)
- Pasta (MBC, 2010)
- Drama Special: Our Slightly Risque Relationship (KBS2, 2010)
- Golden Time (MBC, 2012)
- Miss Korea (MBC, 2013)
|2009||Happy Together - Season 3||Episode 120||KBS2|
|2011||Golden Fishery: The Knee-Drop Guru||Episode 230-231||MBC|
|2011||Running Man||Episode 41||SBS|
|2012||2 Days & 1 Night||Episode 367-368||KBS2|
|2014||Healing Camp, Aren't You Happy||Episode 138||SBS|
|2001||"You Remain in My Heart"||Lucid Fall|
|2008||"Between Hidden Time"||Yoon Gun|
|2001||The Rocky Horror Show|
|2013||Love, Love, Love|
|2007||The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince OST||"Ocean Voyage||(Choi Han-sung version)"|
|2008||My Sweet Seoul OST||"My Sweet City"|
|2008||Romantic Island Christmas Story||"Romantic Christmas"||duet with Eugene|
|2008||Yoon Sang's Song Book: Play With Him||"Boy"|
|2010||Petty Romance OST||"Kangaroo"||duet with Choi Kang-hee|
- KT 1541 Collect Call (2002)
- CJ CheilJedang Condition Power (2006)
- Samsung Fire & Marine Insurance (2007)
- Ministry of Health and Welfare (2007)
- LG Whisen air conditioner (2008)
- Dunkin' Donuts (2008)
- Sempio Food Premium Soy Sauce (샘표간장) (2008)
- Pizza Hut (2008)
- Kia Sportage (2008)
- GS Home Shopping (2009)
- Sempio Food Brown Rice Vinegar Drink (백년동안) (2010)
- Ace Bed (2011)
- Cambridge Kolon GGIO II (2011)
- Downy (2012)
- Sensodyne (2012)
- Oreo (2012)
- Boehringer Ingelheim Mucopect (2012)
- Orion Swing Chips (2014)
- 2007 MBC Drama Awards: Golden Acting Award, Actor in a Miniseries (White Tower)
- 2008 Korea Advertisers Association: Good Model Award
- 2010 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival: Best Actor (Paju)
- 2010 CETV Awards: Top 10 Asian Stars (Pasta)
- 2010 MBC Drama Awards: Best Couple Award with Gong Hyo-jin (Pasta)
- 2010 KBS Drama Awards: Best Actor in a One-Act/Drama Special (Our Slightly Risque Relationship)
- "Outstanding Alumni". Korea National University of Arts. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "LEE Sun-kyun". Korean Film Biz Zone. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Oh, Jean (10 June 2009). "MBC's new series a Triple threat". The Korea Herald.
- "Lee Seon-kyun Comments on His Role in Paju". KBS Global. 27 October 2009.
- Hong, Lucia (30 March 2010). "Lee Sun-kyun wins best male actor at Las Palmas film fest". 10Asia.
- Choi, Ji-eun (29 December 2009). "Lee Sun-kyun says not pressured by new image in Pasta". 10Asia.
- Beck, Una (7 April 2010). "Interview: Actor Lee Sun-kyun - Part 1". 10Asia.
- Beck, Una (7 April 2010). "Interview: Actor Lee Sun-kyun - Part 2". 10Asia.
- Beck, Una (7 April 2010). "Interview: Actor Lee Sun-kyun - Part 3". 10Asia.
- Beck, Una (14 October 2010). "PIFF Interview - Actor Lee Sun-kyun". 10Asia.
- Wee, Geun-woo (9 December 2010). "Interview: Actor Lee Sun-kyun - Part 1". 10Asia.
- Wee, Geun-woo (9 December 2010). "Interview: Actor Lee Sun-kyun - Part 2". 10Asia.
- Lee, Hyo-won (28 April 2011). "Arrest gives '90s comedy zesty spin". The Korea Times.
- Park Joong Hoon: "Playing Detective Is Both Easy and Difficult". KBS Global. 8 April 2011.
- Chae, Ki-won (1 June 2010). "Lee Sun-gyun says single-episode dramas "got me where I am"". 10Asia.
- Oh, Mi-jung (13 March 2012). "Lee Sun Gyun Didn't Really Want to be in Helpless at First". enewsWorld.
- Suk, Monica (15 March 2012). "Lee Sun-kyun, Lim Soo-jung film to be released May 17". 10Asia.
- Suk, Monica (20 June 2012). "Lee Sun-kyun to play doctor in new TV series to mark Golden Time of his life". 10Asia.
- Suk, Monica (25 June 2012). "Photos of Lee Sun-kyun, Hwang Jung-eum in surgical gowns for Golden Time unveiled". 10Asia.
- Oh, Jean (2 July 2012). "New medical drama 'cheery' and 'goofy'?". The Korea Herald.
- "Lee Sun-kyun in Golden Time". MBC Global Media. 12 August 2012.
- "Actress Jeon Hye-Jin and actor Lee Seon-Kyun's sparkling youth, Love, Love, Love". K-PopCulture. 24 May 2013.
- Kim, Hee-eun (18 April 2014). "Two hot actors to star in new thriller". Korea JoongAng Daily.
- Conran, Pierce (23 April 2014). "Director's Fortnight to Have A HARD DAY". Korean Film Biz Zone.
- "A Hard Day racks up ticket sales, Lee Seon-kyun reflects on its success". Dramabeans. 22 June 2014.
- "타 웨딩스토리: 이선균&전혜진 커플" (in Korean). iWedding. 23 May 2009.
- "2009 결혼한 스타들" (in Korean). Naver. 23 May 2009.
- Oh, Seol-hye (3 May 2012). "Lee Sun-gyun "My wife speaks honest and direct"". StarN News.
- "Lee Seon-kyun becomes a father". Dramabeans. 25 November 2009.
- "Lee Seon Gyun and Jeon Hye Jin Welcome Their Second Son". Soompi. 10 August 2011.
- "이선균 서우, "해피투게더"방문 솔직 토크 펼쳐" (in Korean). Epoch Times. 22 October 2009.
- "Golden Fishery: Episode 230 (Guest: Lee Seon Kyun, Part 1)". Electric Ground. 6 September 2011.
- "Golden Fishery: Episode 231 (Guest: Lee Seon Kyun, Part 2)". Electric Ground. 21 September 2011.
- "박중훈·이선균, '런닝맨'으로 예능 나들이" (in Korean). Star News. 18 April 2011.
- "1 Night 2 Days: Episode 367". Dramabeans. 6 January 2012.
- "1 Night 2 Days: Episode 368". Dramabeans. 13 January 2012.
- Lee, Ji-young (20 May 2014). "Lee Sun Gyun Chased After Jun Hye Jin Since He Was in College". enewsWorld.
- Kim, Dong-joo (20 May 2014). "Healing Camp Lee Sun Gyun talks about stresses he gets from raising children". StarN News.