Lee on a boat ride at China's Qiandao Lake in March 2006
January 31, 1971 |
Seoul, South Korea
|Alma mater||Hanyang University
(B.A. German Language and Literature)
Chung Ang University
(M.A. Theater and Film)
|Height||1.65 m (5 ft 5 in)|
|Spouse(s)||Jeong Ho-young (2009 – present)|
|Revised Romanization||I Yeong-ae|
Lee Young-ae (born January 31, 1971) is a South Korean actress. She is best known to worldwide audiences for her lead role in the hugely successful Korean historical drama Dae Jang Geum and her critically acclaimed role as the revenge seeking single mother in Park Chan-wook's crime thriller film Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.
Lee made her debut as a TV model in 1991. After appearing in T.V. commercials, she started playing in T.V. dramas and movies.
Her popularity has grown exponentially due to her performance in the popular Korean drama Dae Jang Geum. After its successful broadcast in Korea, the show was then aired overseas for the first time in 2004 and won the hearts of Taiwanese audiences. In 2005, nearly half the population of Hong Kong watched the final episode of the drama. In China, hundreds of million of viewers watched the drama despite the fact that it was shown late at night.
Because of her success, Lee Young-Ae has been invited to visit Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, China and Japan. For the first time in 12 years, NHK had to use NHK Hall to host the NHK show (2006). She was invited to the 2007 Harbin International Ice and Snow Sculpture Festival in China as an Image Ambassador.
Beside her acting career, she has also been involved with several charities. In 1997 she went to Ethiopia as a NGO Goodwill Ambassador. She went to Thar Desert in 1999 to do a TV show about people in India's lowest social caste. Later in 2001, she published these experiences in her autobiography “A Most Special Love” and donated the income from the sale of the book to charity.
She was appointed a Goodwill Ambassador in 2004 by UNICEF and has since held several charity functions. She has made many donations to schools and hospitals, including the Chosun First Middle School in Harbin and an elementary school in China that was thereafter renamed Lee Young-Ae Elementary School.
In her 2006 autobiography “Young-Ae’s Vow”, she recalled how she became an actress. She tells readers that she was first entered show business after working with Andy Lau in a 1991 chocolate advertisement. In 1995, she made the decision to go to graduate school in order to learn theory of acting. Since then, she has challenged herself in various kinds of acting roles, like that in Dae Jang Geum and later a very different role in Sympathy For Lady Vengeance.
In 2007, she received the Medal of Culture Merit for her contribution to Korean Wave from the South Korean government.
On August 24, 2009, Lee married Jeong Ho-young, a Korean-American businessman, in the United States. On February 20, 2011, Lee gave birth to twins, one boy and one girl, at the Jeil Hospital in Jung-gu, Seoul.
|2005||Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (친절한 금자씨)||Lee Geum-ja|
|2001||One Fine Spring Day (봄날은 간다)||Eun-su|
|Last Present (선물)||Jung-yun|
|2000||Joint Security Area (공동경비구역 JSA)||Maj. Sophie E. Jean|
|1999||First Kiss (키스할까요)||Herself (cameo)|
|1996||I will do it (인샬라)|
|2003||Jewel in the Palace (대장금 Dae Jang Geum) (MBC)|
|2000||Fireworks (불꽃 Bulkkot) (SBS)|
|1999||Enbireyong (은비령 Eunbiryeong) (KBS)|
|1999||Invitation (초대 Chodae) (KBS)|
|1999||Wave (파도 Pado) (SBS)|
|1998||Advocate (애드버킷 Aedeubeokit) (MBC)|
|1998||Romance (로맨스 Romaenseu) (SBS)|
|1997||Because I Love You (사랑하니까 Sarang hanikka) (SBS)|
|1997||The Reason I Live (내가 사는 이유 Naega saneun yiyu) (MBC)|
|1997||Medical Brothers (의가형제 Uiga hyeongje) (MBC)|
|1996||Sibling Relations (동기간 Dongkikan) (MBC)|
|1996||Their Embrace (그들의 포옹 Geudeului poong) (MBC)|
|1996||Papa (파파 Papa) (KBS)|
|1995||West Palace (서궁 Seogung) (KBS)|
|1995||Love and Marriage (사랑과 결혼 Sarangkwa kyeolhon) (MBC)|
|1995||Asphalt Man (아스팔트 사나이 Aseupalteu sanai) (SBS)|
|1994||Dash (질주 Jilju) (SBS)|
|1993||How's Your Husband? (댁의 남편은 어떠십니까? Daegui nampyeoneun eotteoshimnikka?) (SBS)|
- 1994 SBS Drama Awards, Best New Actress
- 1995 KBS Drama Awards, Popularity Prize
- 1996 MBC Drama Awards, Outstanding Actress
- 1997 SBS Drama Awards, Best Actress
- 1998 SBS Drama Awards, Best Actress
- 1999 KBS Drama Awards, Popularity Prize
- 2001 Korea Movie & Music Awards, Photogenic Prize for Actress
- 2001 Pusan Film Critics Awards, Best Actress (One Fine Spring Day)
- 2003 MBC Drama Awards, Daesang/Grand Prize (Dae Jang Geum)
- 2003 MBC Drama Awards, Top Excellence Actress (Dae Jang Geum)
- 2005 International Film Festival of Catalunya, Best Actress (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)
- 2005 Blue dragon film award, Best Actress (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)
- 2006 Baeksang award, Best Actress (Sympathy For Lady Vengeance)
- 2006 Cinemanila International Film Festival Best Actress: Lee Young-ae for Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (South Korea)
References & notes
- 이영애 "Nate Profile".
- "《大長今》熱播台灣創下韓劇收視率新高". Chinese.chosun.com. 2004-07-22. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "《大長今》最后一集收視率在港創新高". Chinese.chosun.com. 2005-05-05. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "中國掀起狂烈的《大長今》熱潮". Chinese.chosun.com. 2005-09-29. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "李英愛將成為中國哈爾濱名譽市民". Chinese.chosun.com. 2006-12-28. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- us.yesasia.com A Most Special Love with partial English translation
- "李英愛向朝鮮族學校捐贈10萬元人民幣". Chinese.chosun.com. 2007-01-06. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "中國出現"李英愛小學"". Chinese.chosun.com. 2006-03-20. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- nhk-book.co.jp Young-Ae’s Vow that has been partially translated into English, translation
- "組圖：李英愛榮獲文化獎章". Chinese.chosun.com. 2007-09-03. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "Actress Lee Young-ae Secretly Married in U.S". The Chosun Ilbo. 2009-08-26. Retrieved 2010-02-21.
- "Lee Young Ae gives birth to twins". allkpop.com. 2011-02-20. Retrieved 2011-02-16.