City walls and Glass Centre
Location in South Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Rinus Houtman (SGP)|
|• Total||34.42 km2 (13.29 sq mi)|
|• Land||33.79 km2 (13.05 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.63 km2 (0.24 sq mi)|
|Elevation ||1 m (3 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||609/km2 (1,580/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
The municipality covers an area of 34.42 km2 (13.29 sq mi) of which 0.63 km2 (0.24 sq mi) is water. It comprises the town of Leerdam, the rural villages Kedichem, Schoonrewoerd and Oosterwijk. The south border of the town is formed by the river Linge. Leerdam is the most eastern town of the province of South Holland and is situated almost exactly in the middle of the three highways A2, A15 and A27.
Leerdam received city rights in 1407. The small river Linge, bordered by beautiful water meadows, defines the atmosphere and tone of the landscape. Several centuries ago Leerdam formed a part of the Vijfheerenlanden domain, before it was raised to the level of County in 1498. The rich history of Leerdam can be found in well-kept historic buildings such as the Grote Kerk (Great Church), the Hofje van Mevrouw van Aerden (Mrs. Aerden Almshouses, now a museum), the remaining and restored city walls on the Zuidwal and the Oude Raadhuis (Old City Hall).
Historical map of the Vijfheerenlanden
From the 18th century the town culture was strongly influenced by the glass industry and the timber industry. The current glass industry is internationally as known as "Royal Leerdam" and more particularly in respect of designerglass or glass art "Royal Leerdam Crystal". Leerdam is with Royal Leerdam Crystal, the National Glassmuseum, the Glass Centre (glassblowing and demonstration activities) and several art galleries the Glass City of the Netherlands and a major tourist attraction.
Born in Leerdam
- "College van burgemeester en wethouders" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Leerdam. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 4141DA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 7 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Glass Centre". Glascentrumleerdam.nl. 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leerdam.|
||Vianen (UT)||Culemborg (GE)|