Leesburg High School (Leesburg, Florida)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Leesburg High School|
Moving on up!
|1401 Yellow Jacket Way
Leesburg, Fl 34748-5643
|School district||Lake County Schools|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Student to teacher ratio||19.09:1|
|Color(s)||Orange & Black
|Sports||Football, Basketball, Tennis, Swimming, Cross Country, Weightlifting, Golf, Softball, Baseball, volleyball|
Leesburg High School is a high school located in Leesburg, Florida and is one of seven public high schools in Lake County, Florida. The school is made up of approximately 3,700+ students. The current principal is Bill Miller. For a number of years the school was rated by the state of Florida, based upon its FCAT scores, as a "D" school. As a result, the school was under pressure by the state to improve FCAT scores for the 2009-2010 school year. During the 2010-11 school year, the school achieved a "B" grade, but due to a penalty it was reduced to a "C" grade. Bill Miller established the motto "Moving on up" by the song not by the school going from a "D" to a "C" school.
In response to the "D" school rating a series of changes occurred that launched Program "495". 495 is the current score on the FCAT that the school needs to pass with a "B". Leesburg High School hasn't gone through many academic changes, one including writing a daily Literacy Log, to see what the student has learned in that class for the day. Another academic change made was to write a P.E.E.L. which is a method of answering a question in explicit detail.
- Band (Swarm Of Sound)
- Beta Club
- Chorus (Madrigals,Illusions, and Concert)
- Debate Club (Coming Soon)
- Drama Club
- Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA)
- Future Farmers of America (FFA)
- The Hive Jive (Student Newspaper)
- Key Club
- La Torre (Yearbook)
- Latin Club
- Link Leaders
- Maniacs School Spirit Club
- Mu Alpha Theta Math Club
- Multicultural Clubs
- National Honors Society
- Police Explorers
- STEM Club
- Robotics Club
- Student Government
- Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD)
- World Awareness Club (WAC)
- Roger Holt, Former MLB player (New York Yankees)
- Greg Johnson, NFL player
- Danny Trevathan, NFL player
- "Leesburg High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved on 2009-05-30. "Students: 1,786 (2006-2007)"
- "Leesburg captures 4A state boys basketball championship". March 5, 2011.
- "FHSAA Championship Record Books". FHSAA. Retrieved 1 April 2014.