Elmridge, a historic site in the borough
Location within Allegheny County
|• Total||1.1 sq mi (3 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (3 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|• Density||1,100/sq mi (430/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
The town has gained a certain popularity due to its name, a coincidence with Leetspeak, a common Internet sociolect. Leetsdale at one time had a formidable industrial manufacturing base, with a Bethlehem Steel mill that closed in the late 1970s.
Leetsdale is located at (40.566667, -80.211274).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.1 square miles (2.8 km2), of which 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), or 13.91%, is water.
Leetsdale is bordered by Ambridge to the north, Leet Township to the northeast, and Edgeworth to the southeast. The Ohio River forms the southwest border of the borough; across the river is Crescent Township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,232 people, 586 households, and 370 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,246.0 people per square mile (480.5/km²). There were 653 housing units at an average density of 660.4 per square mile (254.7/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 89.20% White, 7.31% African American, 0.65% from other races, and 2.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.62% of the population.
There were 586 households out of which 23.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 41.7% were married couples living together, 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.8% were non-families. 38.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the borough the population was spread out with 21.3% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 22.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 80.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 74.6 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $28,672, and the median income for a family was $37,500. Males had a median income of $31,932 versus $25,750 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $19,172. About 9.6% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.1% of those under age 18 and 10.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Leetsdale borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Number and Distribution of Inhabitants:Pennsylvania-Tennessee". Fifteenth Census. U.S. Census Bureau.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Pennsylvania". 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Pennsylvania: Population and Housing Unit Counts". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.