Lega Nord Friuli-Venezia Giulia
|Lega Nord Friuli-Venezia Giulia|
|National affiliation||Lega Nord|
|Politics of Friuli-Venezia Giulia
Lega Nord Friuli-Venezia Giulia (North League Friuli-Venezia Giulia, LNFVG) is a regionalist political party in Italy which functions as the "national" (hence, regional) section of Lega Nord in Friuli-Venezia Giulia.
The party, which has been led by federal commissioner Gianpaolo Dozzo since 2013, counts a deputy, Massimiliano Fedriga, and three regional councillors. Its former leader Pietro Fontanini is the President of the Province of Udine.
The party was founded in 1990 as Lega Friuli by leading members of the Friuli Movement, including Roberto Visentin, Pietro Fontanini, Rinaldo Bosco, Sergio Cecotti and Alessandra Guerra. After that the Friuli Movement decided not join Lega Nord, they formed Lega Friuli in order to join. Visentin was the longstanding leader of the party until 1999.
In the 1990s the LNF controlled the posts of President or Vice President of the Region (1993–2003), President of the Province of Pordenone (1995–1999), President of the Province of Udine (1995–1999), Mayor of Pordenone (1993–2001) and Mayor of Udine (1998–2003). The party was the region's largest at the 1993 regional election (26.7%) and the 1996 general election (23.2%).
In 2001 Lega Nord Friuli was merged with Lega Nord Trieste to form a united regional section. At the time the party suffered many splits and a strong decline in term of votes, especially if compared to neighbouring Liga Veneta.
In the 2003 regional election Guerra was candidate for President of the House of Freedoms coalition. She was defeated by Riccardo Illy and the party gained only 9.3% of the vote. Between 2001 and 2007 Visentin, Bosco, Cecotti, Fontanini, Guerra, Giuseppe Zoppolato (secretary from 2000 to 2003) and Marco Pottino (secretary from 2005 to 2007) left or were ejected in party struggles. Guerra joined the Democratic Party in 2009.
In 2007 Fontanini, who had been ejected by Pottino, was re-integrated in the party after the ejection of the former. In 2008 Fontanini was elected President of the Province of Udine and secretary of LNFVG. This represented a sort of return to normality for the party, which won 13.0% of the vote in the general election. At the 2009 European Parliament election the party won 17.5% of the vote, its best score in more than a decade. Moreover, from 2008 to 2013 the party was part of the regional government led by Renzo Tondo of The People of Freedom.
In 2012 Fontanini, who had never been able to lead a party divided in too many factions (notably including those led respectively by Claudio Violino and Enzo Bortolotti), stepped down from secretary. Matteo Piasente was elected in his place with the support of 207 delegates out of 352 during a party congress. Fontanini, who grudgingly favoured Piasente, did not even take part to the congress.
In a regional election in April 2013 LNFVG obtained a mere 8.3% of the vote and just three regional councillors, due to Tondo's defeat. Soon after an expenses scandal, involving the former and current floor leaders in the Regional Council Danilo Narduzzi and Mara Piccin, emerged and the party looked increasingly divided among supporters of Piasente, including Violino and Narduzzi (who promptly resigned from deputy secretary), Fedriga and Fontanini, who asked Piasente to resign. The secretary's year-long reign ended in late June with his replacement with federal commissioner Gianpaolo Dozzo, who strove to mainatin party unity.
Lega Nord's best days in Friuli-Venezia Giulia were in the 1990s, when the party had its best results. The party has never fully recovered. Its strongholds however are still in Friuli, the western part of the region: in the 2009 European Parliament election it won 24.3% in the Province of Pordenone and 19.0% in Udine.
The electoral results of Lega Nord in the region are shown in the table below.
|1992 general||1993 regional||1994 general||1996 general||1998 regional||1999 European||2001 general||2003 regional||2004 European||2006 general||2008 general||2009 European||2013 general||2013 regional|
- National Secretary: Roberto Visentin (1990–1999), Edouard Ballaman (1999–2000), Giuseppe Zoppolato (2000–2003), Fulvio Follegot (2003–2005), Marco Pottino (2005–2007), Manuela Dal Lago (federal commissioner, 2007–2008), Pietro Fontanini (2008–2012), Matteo Piasente (2012–2013), Gianpaolo Dozzo (federal commissioner, 2013–present)
- National President: Rinaldo Bosco (1991–2003), Alessandra Guerra (2005–2007), Enzo Bortolotti (2008–2012), Fulvio Follegot (2012–present)
- "::: Ministero dell'Interno ::: Archivio Storico delle Elezioni". Elezionistorico.interno.it. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "E l' ex leghista Guerra prende la tessera del Pd". Archiviostorico.corriere.it. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Fontanini, un leader mancato - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it. 2012-05-27. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "::: Ministero dell'Interno ::: Archivio Storico delle Elezioni - Camera del 13 Aprile 2008". Elezionistorico.interno.it. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "::: Ministero dell'Interno ::: Archivio Storico delle Elezioni - Europee del 7 Giugno 2009". Elezionistorico.interno.it. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Lega, Fontanini molla «Non mi ricandido» - Cronaca - Il Piccolo". Ilpiccolo.gelocal.it. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Il Friuli - Svolta del Carroccio". Ilfriuli.it. 2012-05-28. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Lega, Piasente eletto segretario - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it. 2012-05-27. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Matteo Piasente è il nuovo segretario regionale della Lega Nord con 207 voti. Ubaldi e Mazzaro si fermano rispettivamente a 55 e 44.". Il Giornale Del Friuli. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "“Guerra tra bande” nella Lega Nord del Fvg sconvolta dai rimborsi pazzi - Cronaca - Il Piccolo". Ilpiccolo.gelocal.it. 2013-06-26. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Uragano spese, la Lega si frantuma - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it. 2013-06-28. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Fontanini all’attacco: repulisti nella Lega - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it. 2013-06-29. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "Lega commissariata. Dozzo fa “pulizia” - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it. 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-10-25.
- "La Lega fa quadrato sul gruppo regionale - Cronaca - Messaggero Veneto". Messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it. 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2013-10-25.