Legacy Family Tree
|Original author(s)||Ken McGinnis, Dave Berdan.|
|Initial release||June 1997|
|Stable release||18.104.22.168 / February 15, 2013|
|Available in||Multilingual (11 languages/dialects and 8 public testing translations)|
Legacy Family Tree is genealogy software for Windows that assists family historians in tracking, organizing, printing, and sharing family history. The standard edition is distributed as freeware, with no restrictions, only requiring registration on the company's web site to download the software. Users may pay a fee to do Product activation "unlock" the additional features in the deluxe edition.
The software allows groups of people to coordinate their work and track each other's changes. When two files are open, entire lines can be dragged and dropped from one to the other. Multimedia support includes pictures, sound clips, and videos; images can be displayed individually, in slide shows, or as screen savers. The program imports and exports standard GEDCOM files and files from Personal Ancestral File (PAF). Links to the Internet allow searching online databases for any person in the family file.
Other features include search and replace, spell checking of all notes, source documentation features, and relationship calculation. For users entering U.S. information, the program issues a warning if the county entered did not exist at the time of the event. TempleReady reports can be produced for by members of the LDS Church.
The deluxe edition (7.0) includes Legacy Charting. Legacy Charting locates all Legacy files on a hard drive, allows the creation of charts from any Legacy file, and uses a Chart Creation Wizard to help the user create a chart and customize the charts' appearance. They include large-scale wall charts, including drop-down descendancies, fan charts, hourglass charts and DNA charts. Locations where a person's ancestors lived can be automatically mapped.
A printed manual and tutorial videos are available in English; the program and the help files are available in several languages, referred to as international releases. In addition to English (Australian, Canadian, UK and US versions), the Danish, Dutch, French, German, Norwegian (Bokmål and Nynorsk versions), and Swedish versions have been released. Teams of volunteers are, in 2012, working on translations to Afrikaans, Chinese, Estonian, Finnish, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. The software does not support any other text encoding than Western script.
After three years of development starting in 1995 by Ken McGinnis and Dave Berdan.
- Legacy version 1.0 was released in June 1997.
- Legacy version 2.0 was released on 17 October 1997.
- Legacy version 3.0 was released in 2001. On December 14, 2000 this version was released as a free demonstration version from Legacy's website.
- Legacy version 4.0 was released on 14 March 2002 as a free edition and a Deluxe edition.
- Legacy version 5.0 was released on 18 November 2003.
- Legacy version 6.0 was released on 9 August 2005.
- Legacy version 7.0 was released on 2 June 2008.
- Introduction to Legacy, Getting the Most for Your Money, by Richard S. Wilson La Habra, California, Reprinted from the NGS Newsletter, Vol. 24, Number 6 (November/December 1998), Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software
- Legacy 7.x Revision History
- Eastman, Dick (2007-09-04). "Legacy Family Tree Now Available in 5 Languages". Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Eastman, Dick (2008-02-23). "Legacy Family Tree with Ken McGinnis". Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Legacy Features
- "Legacy Family Tree at the Family History Expo" (Video). Roots Television. February 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Legacy Charting
- International releases
- Legacy 2.0 Revision History
- Downloads for Legacy Family Tree 6.0 or Earlier
- Dick Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, Vol. 5 No. 19 - May 6, 2000, Legacy 3.0
- Millennia Announces that Legacy Family Tree is Now Free, December 14, 2000
- Millennia Corporation Releases Legacy Family Tree 4.0
- Legacy Family Tree 5.0 Released
- Legacy 5.0 Revision History
- Legacy 6.0 Revision History
- Legacy Family Tree 6.0 Deluxe Edition, By Kimberly Powell, About.com
- Legacy 7.0 Revision History
- Legacy Family Tree 7.0, Genealogy Reviews
- The Family File Is Corrupted, Help - File Errors, If you do don't have MS Access 2000, please send the family file to us to attempt a repair. , Legacy Family Tree Genealogy Software
- Wine - ODBC - Legacy Family Tree, May 23rd, 2007, Ubuntu Forums
- Legacy Table Help, LTools, Last updated: 05 Mar 2010, Zipper Software