Legume Information System
The Legume Information System (LIS), is legume sciences portal specifically for legume breeders and researchers, established and supported by the Agricultural Research Service of the United States Department of Agriculture. The mission of the Legume Information System is "to facilitate discoveries and crop improvement in the legumes," in particular to improve crop yields, their nutritional value, and our understanding of basic legume science.
Development of the Legume Information System is a joint venture between the National Center for Genome Resources (NCGR) and the USDA-ARS at Iowa State University.
The reference species as a backbone for orphan species research
A fundamental approach taken in LIS is facilitate research in the orphan species by taking advantage of more extensive knowledge developed for the reference species. Use of synteny and local similarity, for instance, provides a basis for trait inference.
The current legume reference species (also referred to as model organisms) are the following:
Orphan species represented at LIS are:
- Arachis hypogaea (peanut), ARAHY
- Cajanus cajan (pigeon pea), CAJCA
- Chamaecrista fasciculata, CHAFS
- Cicer arietinum (chickpea), CICAR
- Lens culinaris (lentil), LENCU
- Lupinus albus (white lupin), LUPAL
- Lupinus angustifolius (blue lupin), LUPAN
- Medicago sativa (alfalfa), MEDSA
- Phaseolus coccineus (scarlet runner bean), PHACN
- Phaseolus vulgaris (common bean), PHAVU
- Pisum sativum (garden pea), PEA
- Trifolium pratense (red clover), TRIPR
- Vicia faba (broad bean), VICFA
- Vigna radiata (mung bean), VIGRA
- Vigna unguiculata (cowpea), VIGUN
- Home page for the Legume Information System.
- Gonzales, MD; Gajendran, K; Farmer, AD; Archuleta, E; Beavis, WD (2007). "Leveraging model legume information to find candidate genes for soybean sudden death syndrome using the legume information system". Methods in molecular biology 406: 245–59. PMID 18287696.
- Gonzales, M. D.; Archuleta, E; Farmer, A; Gajendran, K; Grant, D; Shoemaker, R; Beavis, WD; Waugh, ME (2004). "The Legume Information System (LIS): An integrated information resource for comparative legume biology". Nucleic Acids Research 33 (Database issue): D660–5. doi:10.1093/nar/gki128. PMC 540082. PMID 15608283.