Leicester Clarence Hemingway (April 1, 1915 in Oak Park, Illinois – September 13, 1982), was an American writer. He was the younger brother of writer Ernest Hemingway, and wrote six books, including a first novel entitled The Sound of the Trumpet (1953), which was based on Leicester's experiences in France and Germany during World War II. In 1961, Leicester published My Brother, Ernest Hemingway, a biography. The work was well-received and brought Leicester both recognition as a writer in his own right and significant financial rewards. With the capital from the work, Hemingway created the micronation of New Atlantis on a barge off the coast of Jamaica, intended to serve as a marine research headquarters. The project was cut short when New Atlantis was destroyed in a 1966 tropical storm.
He had two marriages; the first gave him two sons, the second two daughters.
Hemingway founded his micronation of New Atlantis on an 8 foot by 30 foot barge he had towed 12 nautical miles out from Jamaica in July 1964. He utilized the 1856 Guano Islands Act to claim half of the barge as a new nation and half for the United States. Hemingway also "wrote" a constitution, which was a copy of the U.S. Constitution with the words "New Atlantis" subbed in for "United States". New Atlantis' purpose was to generate money for oceanographic research by selling coins and stamps. In 1966, the micronation was ravaged by a storm and then ransacked by fishermen.
- Hemingway, Leicester (1962). My Brother, Ernest Hemingway (1996: 4, illustrated, reprint ed.). Florida: Pineapple Press. ISBN 978-1-56164-098-0.
- Turner, William (2007-01-01). History of Philosophy (3 Vols. Set). Global Vision Publishing House. p. 142. ISBN 9788182202337.
- Hale, Russell. "Contents of a Country: Leicester Hemingway's New Atlantis". Harry Ransom Center, University of Texas at Austin. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- Walker, Lawrence R.; Bellingham, Peter (March 24, 2011). Island Environments in a Changing World. Cambridge University Press. p. 34. ISBN 9781139500265.
- Michael Largo - Genius and Heroin
- Mitang, Herbert (September 15, 1982). "Leicester Hemingway, Writer and Ernest's Brother, is Suicide". The New York Times. Retrieved June 29, 2009.
- Johanson, Mark (October 11 2013). "Create Your Own Country: Australia Leads In The Number Of Micronations; If You're Unhappy With Your Country, Start A New One". International Business Times. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Hale, Russell. "Harry Ransom Center: Contents of a Country: Leicester Hemingway's New Atlantis". Harry Ransom Center. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- Leicester Hemingway, 1915-1982; New Atlantis Collection, 1964-66 Harry Ransom Center, University of Texas at Austin
- Samuel Pyeatt Menefee, "Republics of the Reefs: Nation-Building on the Continental Shelf and in the World's Oceans", California Western Journal of International Law, vol. 25, no. 1, Fall, 1994, pp. 104-05.
- Family records[full citation needed]