Leigh Anne Tuohy
Leigh Anne Tuohy (née Roberts; born August 9, 1960) is an American interior designer. She is best known for her role as the legal guardian of Michael Oher. Their story was featured in Michael Lewis' 2006 book, The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game, and its 2009 feature film adaptation The Blind Side. In the film, Tuohy was portrayed by actress Sandra Bullock, who won the Academy Award for Best Actress for the performance.
Tuohy's father was a U.S. Marshal. She graduated from Briarcrest Christian School in Memphis, Tennessee. In the early 1980s, she graduated from University of Mississippi, where she became a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, cheerleader, and also met her future husband, Sean Tuohy, a basketball player for the Ole Miss Rebels.
Tuohy and her husband are also the co-authors of the book, In a Heartbeat: Sharing the Power of Cheerful Giving, which was released in 2010.
Tuohy married her husband Sean Tuohy in the mid-1980s. They have three children: son Michael Oher (adopted), a former Ole Miss Rebels football player and Baltimore Ravens first-round draft selection and starting offensive tackle, daughter Collins Tuohy(December 1986), who was a state champion at the pole vault and a cheerleader at the University of Mississippi, and son Sean Tuohy, Jr(July 1993). who currently plays guard for the Loyola Greyhounds. Tuohy and her husband live in Memphis, Tennessee.
Tuohy gave the commencement address at Christian Brothers University on May 14, 2010. She also received an Honorary degree from the university during its commencement ceremony for her commitment to the less fortunate and her ongoing quest to recruit others to make a difference.
- "THE BLIND SIDE (2009)". historyvshollywood.com. December 11, 2013.
- de Bertodano, Helena (2010-03-05). "Oscars 2010: Leigh Anne Tuohy interview". London: The Telegraph. Retrieved April 20, 2011.
- Lewis, Michael (2007). The Blind Side. New York, N.Y.: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. p. 62. ISBN 978-0-393-33047-2.
- Ashby, Andy (2007-07-01). "RGT Management plans to aggressively grow new chain in its portfolio". Memphis Business Journal. Retrieved 27 August 2009.
- "ABC Medianet". ABC Medianet. Retrieved 2010-11-13.
- "'In a Heartbeat' highlights the bright side of the Tuohys". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved April 15, 2011.
- Lewis, Michael (September 24, 2006), "The Ballad of Big Mike", New York Times Magazine
- "People | Depth Chart". Baltimore Ravens. Retrieved 2010-11-13.
- Meet the Grizzlies Broadcast Team at NBA.com. Retrieved August 23, 2009.
- "Leigh Anne Tuohy to Deliver CBU Commencement Address". CBU.edu. 2010-04-08. Retrieved 2010-07-02.