|Colongitude||153° at sunrise|
Lemaître is a lunar impact crater that is located on the southern hemisphere on the far side of the Moon. It lies to the south of the older crater Minkowski, and north of Crommelin. To the east-southeast lies the crater Eijkman.
The outer rim of Lemaître remains well-defined, although it has become eroded and rounded by a history of minor impacts. The rim is generally circular, but it has a polygonal, angular outline, particularly in the southeastern half. For much of circumference, the inner wall consists of a rim that slopes down to a slumped terrace, which then slopes down more gently to the interior floor.
There are a few tiny craterlets lying along the rim of Lemaître, especially in the west and the southeast. The most notable of these craterlets is a small, bowl-shaped crater that is attached to the southwestern rim.
The floor of the crater is generally flat, but contains a prominent crater Lemaître F along the eastern inner wall. This crater is also somewhat angular in shape, especially in the parts that are not concentric with the inner wall. The remainder of the floor is marked with a few tiny craterlets, the largest of which is adjacent to the western interior wall.
By convention these features are identified on lunar maps by placing the letter on the side of the crater midpoint that is closest to Lemaître.
|C||59.4° S||145.6° W||27 km|
|F||61.4° S||148.4° W||32 km|
|S||61.6° S||156.3° W||34 km|
- Andersson, L. E.; Whitaker, E. A. (1982). NASA Catalogue of Lunar Nomenclature. NASA RP-1097.
- Blue, Jennifer (July 25, 2007). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- Bussey, B.; Spudis, P. (2004). The Clementine Atlas of the Moon. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-81528-4.
- Cocks, Elijah E.; Cocks, Josiah C. (1995). Who's Who on the Moon: A Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature. Tudor Publishers. ISBN 978-0-936389-27-1.
- McDowell, Jonathan (July 15, 2007). "Lunar Nomenclature". Jonathan's Space Report. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Menzel, D. H.; Minnaert, M.; Levin, B.; Dollfus, A.; Bell, B. (1971). "Report on Lunar Nomenclature by the Working Group of Commission 17 of the IAU". Space Science Reviews 12 (2): 136–186. Bibcode:1971SSRv...12..136M. doi:10.1007/BF00171763.
- Moore, Patrick (2001). On the Moon. Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 978-0-304-35469-6.
- Price, Fred W. (1988). The Moon Observer's Handbook. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-33500-3.
- Rükl, Antonín (1990). Atlas of the Moon. Kalmbach Books. ISBN 978-0-913135-17-4.
- Webb, Rev. T. W. (1962). Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes (6th revision ed.). Dover. ISBN 978-0-486-20917-3.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (1999). Mapping and Naming the Moon. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-62248-6.
- Wlasuk, Peter T. (2000). Observing the Moon. Springer. ISBN 978-1-85233-193-1.