Cicierega with a portrait of himself, 2010
August 23, 1986 |
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Other names||Lemon Demon
|Occupation||Comedian, actor, filmmaker, puppeteer, singer, musician, animator|
|Known for||Animutation, flash animation|
Neil Stephen Cicierega (born August 23, 1986) is an American comedian, actor, filmmaker, puppeteer, singer, musician, and animator. He is the creator of the genre of Flash animation known as "Animutation", and has released several albums as a musician under the name of "Lemon Demon".
Cicierega created a genre of dadaist or surrealist Flash animation he termed "Animutation". Animutations feature arbitrary, nonsensical scenes and pop culture imagery and are typically set to novelty or foreign music, often from the Japanese version of Pokémon. One of his earliest works entitled Hyakugojyuuuichi was published on the web, and was described as a "hit" in 2001 by Salon magazine.
Potter Puppet Pals
Cicierega's Potter Puppet Pals is a comedy series which parodies Harry Potter. It originated as a pair of Flash animations on Newgrounds in 2003, and later resurfaced in the form of a series of live action puppet shows released onto YouTube and PotterPuppetPals.com, starting in 2006 and continuing to the present. The central characters of the Harry Potter series are portrayed simply by puppets. The most successful Potter Puppet Pals video, The Mysterious Ticking Noise, currently has over 150,000,000 views (as of March 2014). Cicierega has done puppetry live at Harry Potter-themed events.
Cicierega currently releases music and performs it live under the name of Lemon Demon, for which he provides vocals and keyboards. In 2005, he and animator Shawn Vulliez released the Flash video Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny on Newgrounds. This reached over 12 million views on Newgrounds as well as topping the "Funny Five" on The Dr. Demento Show for several weeks and becoming the #1 Request for 2006. The song was later included in the 2006 album Dinosaurchestra. An updated recording of the song was released to the Rock Band Network in 2010.
Neil also creates mashup music under his own name. He released two mashup mixtapes, Mouth Sounds and Mouth Silence, for free download in 2014.
- Outsmart (2000) - Deporitaz
- Microwave This CD (2001) - Deporitaz
- Dimes (2002) - Trapezoid
- Clown Circus (2003) - Lemon Demon
- Live From The Haunted Candle Shop (2003) - Lemon Demon
- Hip To The Javabean (2004) - Lemon Demon
- Damn Skippy (2005) - Lemon Demon
- Dinosaurchestra (2006) - Lemon Demon
- Circa 2000 (2007) - Deporitaz
- View-Monster (2008) - Lemon Demon
- Almanac 2009 (2009) - Lemon Demon
- Live (Only Not) (2011) - Lemon Demon
- I Am Become Christmas EP (2012) - Lemon Demon
- Nature Tapes EP (2014) - Lemon Demon
- Mouth Sounds (2014) - Neil Cicierega
- Mouth Silence (2014) - Neil Cicierega
- Jarboe, Greg (October 7, 2011). YouTube and Video Marketing: An Hour a Day. John Wiley & Sons. p. 139. ISBN 9781118203811.
- Mieszkowski, Katharine; Standen, Amy (April 26, 2001). "All hail Neil Cicierega". Salon.com.
- Emily Sweeney (June 22, 2006). He's a hit with Internet set. Boston Globe.
- "Lemon Demon on Rock Band Network".