|• Municipality manager||Olli Viitasaari|
|• Total||307.07 km2 (118.56 sq mi)|
|• Land||269.56 km2 (104.08 sq mi)|
|• Water||37.51 km2 (14.48 sq mi)|
|Area rank||276th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||53rd largest in Finland|
|• Density||77.74/km2 (201.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||22.7%|
|• 15 to 64||65.1%|
|• 65 or older||12.2%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||20%|
Lempäälä (Swedish: Lembois) is a municipality in southwestern Finland with 20,955 inhabitants (31 August 2013). Lempäälä is located south of the city of Tampere. The municipality covers an area of 307.07 square kilometres (118.56 sq mi) of which 37.51 km2 (14.48 sq mi) is water. The population density is 77.74 inhabitants per square kilometre (201.3 /sq mi).
The municipality center of Lempäälä is situated on an isthmus between the lakes Vanajavesi and Pyhäjärvi which are connected by the Kuokkalankoski rapids and the canal of Lempäälä that was built during the 1870s and is still in use.
The first written account of the parish of Lempäälä is from 1430. The oldest building of the town is a medieval church named after Saint Birgitta and was built in 1504. The only remaining article from medieval times in the church is a wooden crucifix carved out of birch.
Finnish novelist Yrjö Kokko lived in Lempäälä, and is buried in the graveyard.
Kuokkala is a neighbourhood to the north of Lempäälä town which houses a 'museoraitti' (museum trail). Several buildings now house collections of historical items, including: a shop museum (also a shop and information office), hairdressers & barbers, cobblers, 1939-45 war memorabilia, household equipment, blacksmiths, carpenters, a 19th-century Finish dwelling, and a special exhibit relating to the ex-Finnish region of Sakkola.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Lempäälä is twinned with:
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.8.2013" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 15 September 2013.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Pyhä Birgitta määräsi kirkon paikan – Lempäälän kunta
- Leaflet about Kuokkalan museoraitti published by museum.
Media related to Lempäälä at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Lempäälä – Official site