Wiseman at Live Free or Die Hard London premiere, June 2007
|Born||Len Ryan Wiseman
March 4, 1973
Fremont, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Director, screenwriter, producer|
|Spouse(s)||Kate Beckinsale (m. 2004)|
|Children||1 step-daughter, Lily Sheen|
- For the chemist, see Leonard Albert Wiseman.
Len Ryan Wiseman (born March 4, 1973) is an American film director, screenwriter and producer. He is best known for his work on the Underworld series, Live Free or Die Hard, and Total Recall. He is married to English actress Kate Beckinsale and is stepfather to her daughter Lily. They live in Brentwood, Los Angeles.
Wiseman began his career in film as a property assistant on a number of Roland Emmerich films: Stargate (1994); Independence Day (1996); and Godzilla (1998). After creating advertisements for clients including Sony, he directed music videos for artists such as Megadeth, En Vogue and, Static-X. He received a Best Art Direction nomination for Quarashi's "Stick 'Em Up" at the 2002 MTV Video Music Awards and a Best Director nomination for Rufus Wainwright's "Across the Universe" at the Music Video Production Association (MVPA) Awards.
In 2003, Wiseman co-created and directed the film, Underworld. Despite receiving generally negative reviews from critics, the film did well at the box office and has gained a cult following. He directed the 2006 sequel Underworld: Evolution and acted as a producer for both Underworld: Rise of the Lycans and Underworld: Awakening.
In 2007, he directed the fourth installment of the Die Hard series, Live Free or Die Hard, starring Bruce Willis, which opened to generally favorable reviews and box office success. In 2010, he directed the pilot episode of CBS's Hawaii Five-0. He most recently directed Total Recall, which starred Colin Farrell, Jessica Biel, and his wife Kate Beckinsale, and was released in August 2012. Wiseman will direct the live action of The Darkness.
Wiseman's first marriage was to a kindergarten teacher named Dana. He divorced her after meeting Kate Beckinsale on the set of Underworld. Beckinsale also ended a relationship with her partner Michael Sheen.
Wiseman married Beckinsale on May 9, 2004 in Bel-Air, California. They live in Los Angeles. Wiseman is stepfather to Beckinsale's daughter Lily Mo Sheen. The child's biological father, Michael Sheen, has said, "Len is a really lovely man. He has been a fantastic step-father for Lily, I couldn't really want anything better for my daughter."
- Stargate (1994) (property assistant)
- Independence Day (1996) (property assistant)
- Men in Black (1997) (property assistant) (uncredited)
- Godzilla (1998) (property assistant)
- Underworld (2003)
- Underworld: Evolution (2006)
- Live Free or Die Hard (2007)
- Underworld: Rise of the Lycans (2009) (producer)
- Hawaii Five-0 (2010) ("Pilot")
- Underworld: Awakening (2012) (producer)
- Total Recall (2012) (director)
- Sleepy Hollow (2013) (executive producer)
- Max Steel (2013) (executive producer) (writer)
- The Darkness (?) (director)
- "Len Wiseman Biography – Yahoo! Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "'Underworld' Creator Questions the End of the World".
- "Live Free or Die Hard". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- The New York Times
- "alexoloughlinrocks.com". alexoloughlinrocks.com. January 27, 2012. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Rich, Katey. "Colin Farrell Confirmed For Total Recall Remake, Which Shoots in May". CinemaBlend.
- SDCC 2013: Witchblade Will Be Part Of 'The Darkness' Movie [EXCLUSIVE]
- "California Births, 1905–1995". Familytreelegends.com. Retrieved August 25, 2009.
- "Kate Beckinsale | Beckinsale Branded Home-Wrecker". Contactmusic.com. May 18, 2004. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- Benjamin, Laura. "Kate's Mr Nobody". Daily Mail (London).
- Kate Beckinsale. "Kate Beckinsale Biography". People.com. Retrieved January 7, 2013.
- "Beckinsale marries in US ceremony". news.bbc.co.uk. May 11, 2004. Retrieved October 28, 2010.
- "I've never felt pressure like playing Clough. He's a mix of Mourinho, Ferguson, Simon Cowell and Oscar Wilde". The Sun (London).