Lenape Valley Regional High School
|Lenape Valley Regional High School|
|Business Administrator:||Robert G. Klinck|
|Address:||28 Sparta Road
Stanhope, NJ 07874
|Enrollment:||743 (as of 2011-12)|
|Faculty (in FTEs):||61.8|
|District Factor Group:||GH|
| %± vs.
|10||Operations & Maintenance||1,567||9||1,954||-19.8%|
|16||Median Teacher Salary||66,643||21||71,726|
|Data from NJDoE 2014 Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending.
*Of 9-12 districts with any number of students. Lowest spending=1; Highest=47
|Lenape Valley Regional High School|
|28 Sparta Road
Stanhope, NJ 07874
|Asst. Principal||Lori Lubieski|
|Athletics conference||Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference|
Lenape Valley Regional High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school and school district in serving students in ninth through twelfth pages from two municipalities in Sussex County and one in Morris County, New Jersey, United States. The communities served by the high school are Byram Township and Stanhope Borough in Sussex and Netcong Borough in Morris County. The school is located in Stanhope.
As of the 2011-12 school year, the school had an enrollment of 743 students and 61.8 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 12.02:1. There were 56 students (7.5% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 15 (2.0% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "GH", the third-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
Lenape Valley is the only high school in Sussex County with a planetarium.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 180th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 120th in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 108th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 105th out of 316 schools statewide in its September 2008 cover story. The school was ranked 139th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
Schooldigger.com ranked the school tied for 145th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 2 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the mathematics (82.9%) and language arts literacy (95.1%) components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA).
Lenape Valley Regional High School offers a selection of sports, including football, soccer, tennis, wrestling, field hockey, swimming, basketball, and cheerleading. It also has a weight room available. The school also offers business activities, creative writing-based courses and music courses, including choirs and bands.
The Lenape Valley Regional High School Patriots participate in the Northwest Jersey Athletic Conference, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 597 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2014-15 school year as North I, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 481 to 749 students in that grade range. Until the NJSIAA's 2009 realignment, the school had participated in the Sussex County Interscholastic League, which was made up of public and private high schools located in Sussex County and northern Morris County.
The football team won the North I Group II state sectional championships in 1977, 1981, 1989–1991, 1993 and 1999. The Patriots made it to the 2004–05 NJSIAA Group II Section I state championship at Giants Stadium, falling in double overtime to Lakeland Regional High School Lancers by a score of 17-14.
The Patriots wrestling team in the 2005–06 season was 21-7, ranked #16 in New Jersey, and won district 2. In the 2005–06 wrestling season, DJ Russo was the state runner-up and national champion for the 215 weight class; he ended his season with only 1 loss. The Patriots wrestling team repeated with a district championship in the 2006–07 season, and finished the year with a 16-11 record.
The Patriots wrestling team in the 2008–09 season finished 18-5, ranked #15 in New Jersey, and won the North II Group I state sectional title, the program's first since 1999, after defeating Elmwood Park Memorial High School 40-23. The team had won sectional titles in 1985 in North I Group II and in both 1998 and 1999 in North I Group III.
The school itself contains 17 special education teachers. The school offers support to the visually, hearing and physically impaired, through special classes and extra-curricular help. The school also provides assistance with speech therapy and development.
- Rob Freeman (born 1981), former Hidden in Plain View guitarist, backup vocalist and songwriter.
- Adam Riggs (born 1972), former Los Angeles Angels player known for his misspelled "Angees" jersey in a 2003 game.
- Paul DiRupo, Superintendent / Principal
- Robert G. Klinck, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- Data for Lenape Val Regional High, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed August 7, 2014.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Lenape Valley Regional High School 2013 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed August 7, 2014. "Lenape Valley Regional High School is a comprehensive academic high school serving approximately 825 students in grade -12 from Byram Township and Stanhope Borough in Sussex County and from Netcong Borough in Morris County."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Stewart, Amy. "Lenape looks towards the stars and aims for beyond", The Township Journal, April 4, 2008. Accessed January 25, 2011.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed September 3, 2012.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- New Jersey High School Rankings: 11th Grade HSPA Language Arts Literacy & HSPA Math 2010–11, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 5, 2012.
- Athletics, Lenape Valley Regional High School. Accessed August 7, 2014.
- Lenape Valley Clubs and Activities, Lenape Valley Regional High School. Accessed August 7, 2014.
- League Memberships – 2014-2015, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- 2014-2015 Public Schools Group Classification: ShopRite Cup–Basketball–Baseball–Softball for North I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of July 8, 2014. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Home page, Sussex County Interscholastic League, backed up by the Internet Archive as of May 9, 2009. Accessed December 16, 2014.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 20, 2011.
- PASSAIC COUNTY FREEHOLDERS HONOR LAKELAND REGIONAL HIGH SCHOOL CHAMPS, press release dated April 26, 2005.
- Staff. "Valiant effort by Elmwood Park", The Record (Bergen County), February 14, 2009. Accessed September 3, 2012. "Normally, the bus ride home after a loss tends to be somber, but Elmwood Parks wrestlers were upbeat despite falling to Lenape Valley, 40-23, in the North 2, Group 1 final Friday night."
- NJSIAA State Sectional Champions, New Jersey Wrestling. Accessed September 3, 2012.
- Special Services, Lenape Valley Regional High School. Accessed August 7, 2014.
- Havsy, Jane. "Soaring with the Angels", Daily Record (Morristown), August 29, 2003. Accessed November 4, 2007. "'I said, cool,' recalled Riggs, a graduate of Lenape Valley High School and County College of Morris."
- Board of Education, Lenape Valley Regional High School District, January 28, 2014. Accessed August 7, 2014.
- New Jersey School Directory for Sussex County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed August 7, 2014.
- Lenape Valley Regional High School
- Lenape Valley Regional High School's 2012–13 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Lenape Valley Regional High School, National Center for Education Statistics