|Lenar Marie Ledet Whitney|
|Member of the Louisiana House of Representatives
from the 53 district
January 9, 2012
|Preceded by||Damon Baldone|
|Born||1959 (age 54–55)
Houma, Terrebonne Parish
|Alma mater||Nicholls State University|
In 2011, Whitney won the right to succeed the term-limited Democrat Damon Baldone. She defeated fellow Republican Billy Hebert, a member of the Terrebonne Parish Council, 3,709 (59 percent) to 2,552 (41 percent). District 53 encompasses the Oakshire, Broadmoor, Park Avenue, Bayou Blue, Cocodrie, Montegut, Bourg, and Pointe-aux-Chenes sections of Houma, the parish seat of Terrebonne Parish. Whitney is the first woman to represent Terrebonne in the legislature and the first Republican to hold the District 53 seat.
Whitney graduated from Vanderbilt High School in Houma and obtained an associate's degree in business from Nicholls State University in Thibodaux. Since she was sixteen, she has operated a small business. She has sales experience in oil field fabrication, repair and maintenance, and the media and telecommunications. Her husband, Lee Whitney, operates Whitney Signs Company in Houma. He was reared in Houma and Upper Caillou and established a lifelong friendship with the politically-connected Chabert family. Whitney traces her family tree on the Ledet and Boquet side directly to the Bourg/Montegut’s families. Whitney has two children; both are graduates of Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.
On 1 July, 2014, Lenar Whitney stated in a campaign video that man-made climate change is "the greatest deception in the history of mankind." Whitney claimed that in the past ten years the planet "has done nothing but get colder each year." As evidence, Whitney stated "any 10-year-old can invalidate [the theses of climate scientists] with one of the simplest scientific devices known to man: a thermometer."
- "Nate Monroe, "Terrebonne elections yield historic results"". Houma Courier, November 22, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- "About Lenar Whitney". lenarwhitney.com. Retrieved May 16, 2012.
- Whitney, Lenar (1 July, 2014). "Global Warming is a Hoax". You Tube. Retrieved 1 July, 2014.
- Graef, Aileen (1 July, 2014). "Lenar Whitney: Climate change is the biggest 'deception'". UPI. Retrieved 1 July, 2014.
- Ashtari, Shadee (1 July, 2014). "GOP Lawmaker Says Climate Change Is 'The Greatest Deception In The History Of Mankind'". Huffington Post. Retrieved 1 July, 2014.
|Louisiana House of Representatives|
|Louisiana State Representative from District 53 (Terrebonne Parish)
Lenar Ledet Whitney