September 13, 1946 |
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
|Alma mater||Lund University|
|Known for||System Identification|
|Notable awards||IEEE Fellow
IEEE Control Systems Award
Lennart Ljung is a Swedish Professor in the Chair of Control Theory at Linköping University since 1976. He is known for his pioneering research in system identification, and is regarded as a leading researcher in control theory.
Background, Present Appointments and Scientific Contributions
Following a position as a research associate at Stanford University 1974-1975 and a position as an Associate Professor (Docent) in Control Theory at Lund University in 1975-1976, Lennart Ljung was elected as a Professor in the Chair of Control Theory at Linköping University in 1976. He was a visiting researcher at Stanford University 1980-1981 and at Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1985-1986. He was also Department Head of the Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University between 1981-1990. He is currently the Director of the MOVIII Strategic Research Center at Linköping University. He has made extensive contributions to control theory, particularly in the area of system identification. He has authored 10 books, over 150 international journal articles, over 200 international conference papers, and a widely used commercial software package for MATLAB called the System Identification Toolbox.
Notable Honors and Awards
- IEEE Fellow (1985)
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (1985)
- Member of the Swedish Academy of Sciences (1995)
- Doctor honoris causa Baltic State Technical University (1996)
- Doctor honoris causa Uppsala University (1998)
- Honorary Member of the Hungarian Academy of Engineering Sciences (2001)
- Quazza Medal (2002)
- Hendrik W. Bode Lecture Prize, awarded by IEEE Control Systems Society (2002)
- Foreign Associate of the United States National Academy of Engineering (2004)
- Doctor honoris causa Universite de Technologie de Troyes (2004)
- Doctor honoris causa Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (2004)
- IEEE Control Systems Award (2007)
- Doctor honoris causa Helsinki University of Technology (2008)
- Honorary Doctoral Degree for Professor Lennart Ljung and Workshop on System Identification
- IEEE Control Systems Award
- IEEE Names Dr. Lennart Ljung for 2007 Control Systems Award
- Prof. Ljung's vita
- "IEEE Control Systems Award Recipients". IEEE. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "IEEE Control Systems Award". IEEE Control Systems Society. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "The 20th Ceremonial Conferment of Doctoral Degrees at TKK on 2 April 2008". Aalto University. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- Lennart Ljung's personal web page
- MOVIII Strategic Research Center at Linköping University
- System Identification Toolbox Product page at MathWorks