|Born||Eleanore Maria Leisner
April 18, 1918
|Died||July 31, 1993
Great Neck, Long Island, New York, U.S.
|Known for||Dr. Sandra Mornay|
|Notable work(s)||Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)|
|Spouse(s)||Julius Altman (1938-1956) (divorced)
Milton Greene (1959-1974) divorced
Lenore Aubert (April 18, 1918 - July 31, 1993) was a model and Hollywood actress best known for her movie roles as exotic, mysterious women.
She was born Eleanore Maria Leisner in what is now Celje, Slovenia, but at the time was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. She grew up in Vienna. She was married to Julius Altman, who was Jewish, and the couple fled Austria after the Anschluss to escape Nazi persecution. They moved to the United States after spending time in Paris.
In New York, she found work as a model and was eventually offered a lucrative stage role as Lorraine Sheldon in The Man Who Came to Dinner at the La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego. She began her U.S. film career in the early 1940s, taking the French-sounding screen name Lenore Aubert.
Her European accent limited her choice of roles, and she played such parts as a Nazi spy and a French war bride. She was most fond of her film I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now (1947), playing glamorous entertainer Fritzi Barrington. Her best-known role was as Dr. Sandra Mornay, a beautiful but sinister scientist in the horror-comedy "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein."
Her film career was basically over by the end of the 1940s. She and her husband then moved back to New York City, starting a garment business. A few years later, the couple divorced. She went back to Europe, only to return to the United States in 1959 as the wife of millionaire Milton Greene. They also eventually divorced, in 1974.
Much of Aubert's life after her film career is known from a personal interview in August 1987 by Jim McPherson (1938-2002) of the Toronto Sun. He was editor of the Sun's TV listings magazine from its launch in 1973 until his retirement in 1994.
- Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938)
- They Got Me Covered (1943)
- Passport to Destiny (1944)
- Action in Arabia (1944)
- Having Wonderful Crime (1945)
- The Catman of Paris (1946)
- The Wife of Monte Cristo (1946)
- The Other Love (1947)
- I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now (1947)
- The Prairie (1947)
- The Return of the Whistler (1948)
- Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
- Barbary Pirate (1949)
- Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff (1949)
- The Silver Theatre (TV series) (1949)
- Suspense (TV series) (1949)
- Famous Jury Trials (TV series) (1950)
- Actor's Studio (TV series) (1950)
- Falschmunzer am Werk (1951)
- Une fille sur la route (1952)