|Born||July 15, 1934 (age 80)|
|Institutions||The Ohio State University, Upjohn|
|Alma mater||Holy Cross College, MIT|
|Known for||Dodecahedrane synthesis|
|Notable awards||Senior Humboldt Fellowship|
He was born on July 15, 1934 and he received his B.S. degree from Holy Cross College in 1956 and his Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1959. After serving as a Research Associate at the Upjohn Company from 1959 to 1963, he joined the faculty of The Ohio State University. He was promoted to full professor in 1969 and was named Distinguished University Professor in 1987. A member of the National Academy of Sciences since 1984, Dr. Paquette has served on advisory committees for the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation, and has been a member of the editorial boards of publications such as the Journal of Organic Chemistry, Journal of the American Chemical Society, Organic Syntheses, Organic Reactions, and as the head editor of the Electronic Encyclopedia of Organic Reagents (eEros).
Dr. Paquette’s honors include Sloan Fellow, Guggenheim Fellow, ACS Award for Creative Work in Synthetic Organic Chemistry, and the Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award of the ACS. Professor Paquette’s career has resulted in contributions to numerous areas in the field of organic chemistry, including synthesis and properties of unusual molecules, natural products total synthesis, synthetic methodology, rearrangement processes, and stereoelectronic control.
Dr. Paquette is perhaps best known for achieving the first total synthesis of the Platonic solid dodecahedrane. in 1982, which still stands as one of the landmark achievements in the history of organic synthesis and hydrocarbon chemistry. Dr. Paquette has authored more than 1000 papers, 38 book chapters, 17 books, and has guided close to 150 graduate students to Ph.D. degrees.
- Encyclopedia of reagents for organic synthesis, 2009
- Handbook of reagents for organic synthesis, 1999-2007
- Organic Reactions, Editor-In-Chief, Vols. 38-55
- Encyclopedia of reagents for organic synthesis, 1995
- Comprehensive Organic Synthesis: Combining C-C pi-bonds, 1992
- Polyquinane chemistry : syntheses and reactions, 1987
- Recent synthetic developments in polyquinane chemistry, 1984
- Organic chemistry, 1979
- Principles of modern heterocyclic chemistry, 1968
- Leo A. Paquette, Robert J. Ternansky, Douglas W. Balogh, and Gary Kentgen (1983). "Total synthesis of dodecahedrane". Journal of the American Chemical Society 105 (16): 5446–5450. doi:10.1021/ja00354a043.
- Research Group Homepage
- Paquette Career in Review, Synthesis Literacy Group, Columbia University
- ISI Highly Cited Researchers bio