Leon J. Wood
He is the author of one of the few books on the Holy Spirit as portrayed in the Old Testament as opposed to the New Testament. Wood wrote, "The evidence that spiritual renewal, or regeneration, was true of such Old Testament people lies mainly in two directions. One is that these people lived in a way possible only for those who had experienced regeneration, and the other is the avenue of logical deduction that argues back from New Testament truth."
Wood was educated at Calvin Theological Seminary with graduate studies in Israel through New York University and at the Oriental Institute, Chicago. He received his Ph.D. degree from Michigan State University.
The Seminary building of Cornerstone University's Grand Rapids Theological Seminary, where Wood taught Old Testament Studies for many years (1946–1975) and served as Academic Dean (1952–1973), is named the Leon J. Wood Seminary Building in his honor in 1977.
Wood is best known for his advocacy and promotion of the controversial "gap theory" of Creation Science and his spirited defence of the plenary inspiration of Scripture. Several of Dr. Wood's books were published in the two or three years following his 1977 death.
Several of these works have been translated into other languages, primarily Spanish
- The Bible and Future Events (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1973) ISBN 0-310-34701-7
- Commentary on Daniel (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1975) ISBN 0-310-34711-4
- The Distressing Days of the Judges (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1981) ISBN 0-310-34730-0
- Elijah: Prophet of God
- Genesis: A Study Guide (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1976) ISBN 0-310-34743-2
- The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1976) Alibris ID: 8615080922
- Israel's United Monarchy (Grand Rapids: Baker Bookhouse, 1979) ISBN 0-8010-9622-7
- The Prophets of Israel (Grand Rapids: Baker Bookhouse, 1979) ISBN 0-8010-2198-7
- A Shorter Commentary on Genesis (Wipf & Stock, 1998) ISBN 1-57910-140-2 reprint of original 1975 edition
- A Survey of Israel's History (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1970) ISBN 0-310-34760-2 (includes intertestamental history in later editions)
- R. P. Nettelhorst, More Than Just A Controversy (Quartz Hill School of Theology)
- Editorial Clie biography (in Spanish)
- Zpndervan Author Tracker
- Cornerstone University History
- NIV Translator List