Leonard Raven-Hill (10 March 1867 - 31 March 1942) was an English artist, illustrator and cartoonist.
He was born in Bath and educated at Bristol Grammar School and the Devon county school. He studied art at the Lambeth School of Art and then in Paris under MM. Bougereau and Aimé Morot. He began to exhibit at the Salon in 1887 but moved back to London when he was appointed as the art editor of Pick-Me-Up. He also continued to work as a painter and exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1889. In 1893 he founded, with Arnold Golsworthy, the humorous and artistic monthly The Butterfly (1893–94, revived in 1899-1900) but began his most prominent association with a publication when his drawings appeared in Punch in December 1895. By 1901 he had joined the staff of Punch as the junior political cartoonist.
He contributed to many other illustrated magazines including The Daily Graphic, Daily Chronicle, The Strand Magazine, The Sketch, Pall Mall Gazette and Windsor Magazine. He also illustrated a number of books including
- East London by Sir Walter Besant (1901)
- Cornish Saints and Sinners by J. H. Harris
- Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome
- Stalky and Co by Rudyard Kipling
- Kipps by H. G. Wells
Raven-Hill published the impressions of his visit to India on the occasion of the tour of the Prince and Princess of Wales as An Indian Sketch-Book (1903) and his other published sketch-books include Our Battalion (1902) and The Promenaders (1894).
In his later years his eyesight began to fail and Raven-Hill died on 31 March 1942 at Ryde on the Isle of Wight.
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2014)|
- "Leonard Raven-Hill". Spartacus Educational. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Raven-Hill, Leonard". Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press.
- Biography for: Leonard Raven-Hill at www.whistler.arts.gla.ac.uk
- NPG 3046; Self Portrait of Leonard Raven-Hill at www.npg.org.uk
- Illustrations from Punch in the image database HeidICON
|This profile of a British cartoonist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|