|Comune di Lercara Friddi|
|• Mayor||Gaetano Licata|
|• Total||37.3 km2 (14.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||675 m (2,215 ft)|
|Population (Jan. 2008)|
|• Density||190/km2 (490/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Holy Mary of Constantinople|
Founded in 1595 by local feudataries, it is on the slopes of Madore Hill, between the valleys of Fiumetorto and Platani rivers. In the past it was an important mining centre, the only one in the province of Palermo where sulphur was excavated.
On December 25, 1893, eleven people were killed in the Lercara Friddi massacre during the Fasci Siciliani uprising after a rally of peasants and sulphur miners that asked for the abolition of taxes and better working conditions.
- Professional Boxer and father of famous singer, Frank Sinatra, Anthony Martin Sinatra (1892).
- Politician Andrea Finocchiaro Aprile.
- Magistrate Pietro Scaglione.
- Football player and manager Nicolò Nicolosi.
- Italian French-chanson singer Frédéric François, born Francesco Barracato (June 3, 1950).
- Gangster Lucky Luciano (1897).
|This Sicilian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|