|Comune di Lercara Friddi|
|• Mayor||Gaetano Licata|
|• Total||37.3 km2 (14.4 sq mi)|
|Elevation||675 m (2,215 ft)|
|Population (Jan. 2008)|
|• Density||190/km2 (490/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Holy Mary of Constantinople|
Founded in 1595 by local feudataries, it is located on the slopes of Madore Hill, between the valleys of Fiumetorto and Platani rivers. In the past it was an important mining centre, the only one in the province of Palermo where sulphur was excavated.
On December 25, 1893, eleven people were killed in the Lercara Friddi massacre during the Fasci Siciliani uprising after a rally of peasants and sulphur miners that asked for the abolition of taxes and better working conditions.
- Gangster Lucky Luciano was born here in 1897.
- Professional Boxer and father of famous singer, Frank Sinatra, Anthony Martin Sinatra was born here in 1892.
- Politician Andrea Finocchiaro Aprile was born here.
- Magistrate Pietro Scaglione was born here.
- Football player and manager Nicolò Nicolosi was born here.
- Italian French-chanson singer Frédéric François, born Francesco Barracato on June 3rd 1950 in Lercara Friddi.
|This Sicilian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|