|Municipal seat and city|
|Nickname(s): garden city|
|• Presidente Municipal||Carlos Aguilera Andrade|
|• Total||71 373|
It is located at co-ordinates 25.33° N, 103.31° W, bordering southeastern Coahuila. Per the 2005 census, Ciudad Lerdo had a population of 71,373 people and the Lerdo Municipality had a population of 129,191 people. The municipality has an area of 1,868.8 km² (721.5 sq mi). It is part of a greater metropolitan area that includes the municipalities of Torreón and Matamoros in Coahuila, as well as Gómez Palacio in Durango.
The city is lush with vegetation, but has an arid climate. Ciudad Lerdo is known for its parks, gardens, and ice cream made with fresh milk from local dairies.
- Francisco Sarabia, First pilot who flew non-stop from Mexico City to New York in 1939.
- Jesús López Luevanos, governor from 1940-1944, notable for uniting all three cities in the Laguna. Also responsible for creating jobs, and bringing industry to the area in the mid-1940s.
- Pepé Jaramillo,Internationally renowned pianist popular from the mid 1950s thru the 1970s.
Lerdo is well known for its Ice cream, Nieve Chepo being the most popular
- Link to tables of population data from Census of 2005 INEGI: Instituto Nacional de Estadística, Geografía e Informática
- Durango Enciclopedia de los Municipios de México
- Ayuntamiento de Lerdo Official website