Les Ballets Africains
Although the name might suggest the idea of European "ballet" to English speakers, the focus of the company is actually to promote traditional African dance and culture.
The group performed in the United States for the first time in 1959, with a run of 48 performances on Broadway, following a successful European tour.
Notable past members
- Kaderlan, Alice (April 12, 2004). "It's hard not to be swept away by Les Ballets Africains". Seattle PI. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "Les Ballets Africains: African Culture for the Modern World". Les Ballet Africains. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- Cohen, J. (2011). "Stages in Transition: Les Ballets Africains and Independence, 1959 to 1960". Journal of Black Studies 43: 11. doi:10.1177/0021934711426628.
- "Les Ballets Africains making a return to Utah". Deseret News. Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "Les Ballets Africains". Internet Broadway Database. Retrieved 2012-01-22.
- Official website
- New York Times review by Jennifer Dunning, March 20, 2006
- New York Daily News review by Mary Talbot, April 12, 1996
|This dance-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Guinea-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|