||This article may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (August 2012)|
Lesley Julia Abdela MBE (born 17 November 1945) is a British expert on women's rights and representation. She has worked as an adviser in 40 different countries to governments and IGOs (United Nations, CoE, IOM, OSCE), NGOs and the European Commission. She is also a Journalist, broadcaster, public speaker and women's rights campaigner.
Abdela won the UK Woman of Europe award for work seeking the empowerment of women in Central and Eastern Europe and in 19936 was the first Political Editor for Cosmopolitan Magazine. In 2006 Abdela was voted into the New Statesman's poll "Top 50 Heroes Of Our Time". She was chosen July 2007 United States Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs European Alumni of the Month. In the Queen's Birthday Honours 2008 Abdela was appointed as a Member of the Order of the British Empire for "contribution in raising the profile of professional women in the United Kingdom".
Abdela held positions in high-profile organizations throughout her career, including
- Member of the Governing Board of the British Council (1995-2000)
- Governor of Nottingham Trent University (1997-2000)
- Board Member of the International Institute for Environment and Development (1992-1997)
- Co-founder and Leader of 'The 300 GROUP' for Women In Politics (1980-1985)
- Liberal Party Parliamentary Candidate for the General Election of 1979
- Policy Researcher for House of Commons and House of Lords (1977-1979)
- Abdela, Lesley and Tim Symonds (ed.), Breaking through the glass ceilings., Metropolitan Authorities Recruitment Agency, (1991), Solihull. ISBN 1-874025-99-1.
- Abdela, Lesley, Do it! : walk the talk : a practical guide for employers on how to change the gender culture in the workplace., Metropolitan Authorities Recruitment Agency, (1995) Solihull, ISBN 1-874025-30-4.
- Abdela, Lesley, What women want : a guide to creating a better and fairer life for women in the UK,, The Body Shop, (1994).
- Abdela, Lesley, A strange old mother : no press pass for women’s magazines. Violations of rights in Britain; 15,, Charter88 Enterprises, (1994), London. ISBN 1-873311-99-0.
- Abdela, Lesley, Women with X appeal : women politicians in Britain today., Macdonald Optima. (1989), London. ISBN 0-356-17184-1.
- Debretts authorised biography. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- Women of Europe Award
- The London Gazette: . 15 June 1990.
- "Ms Lesley Julia Abdela". Duedil Ltd.
-  Records of The 300 Group at The Women's Library
- Lesley Abdela Explained. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
- Profile at Third Sector Women
- Imperial War Museum archives: to search for recently acquired Lesley Abdela recordings