||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
10 March 1956 |
Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England, UK
Lesley Dunlop (born 10 March 1956 in Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland) is a British actress. She is best known for her roles as Anna Kirkwall in Where the Heart Is and her current role as Brenda Walker in Emmerdale.
Daughter of the television writer Pat Dunlop, she began as a child actress in the 1970s featuring in a BBC version of the classic A Little Princess and as Lydia Holly in the ITV adaptation of South Riding.
Her transition to adult roles began by playing Lizzie Hexam in a BBC version of Charles Dickens' Our Mutual Friend in 1976 and featuring in the very first series of the long-running hospital drama Angels.
She was cast alongside Diana Rigg and Elizabeth Taylor in the 1977 film version of Stephen Sondheim's A Little Night Music and appeared in Roman Polanski's Tess in 1979. In 1980, she played Nora, the nurse who is at first terrified by The Elephant Man and then befriends John Hurt's character in David Lynch's 1980 Oscar nominated film. She also appeared in the 1981 horror anthology film The Monster Club as Luna, the human ghoul who befriends Stuart Whitman.
Throughout this time and indeed throughout her career, she has regularly appeared on British TV including Murder Most English in 1977, and two guest appearances in Doctor Who - in Frontios in 1984 and The Happiness Patrol in 1988. She also starred opposite Oliver Tobias in Smuggler (1981), and Peter Ustinov in the 1985 TV film Thirteen at Dinner.In 1986 she appeared as the very pregnant Pattie in the TV version of the Alan Aykbourn play "Seasons Greetings". In the 1990s she starred in the long-running BBC sitcom May to December as Zoe Callender alongside screen husband Anton Rodgers.
In 1995, she starred in the two part Gurinder Chadha directed drama Rich Deceiver as Ellie Freeman, a Liverpudlian housewife who secretly wins the pools and uses the money to covertly help her husband's career. She also starred in the ITV series Wokenwell (1997) and appeared in a long-running series of TV commercials for Kleenex directed by Mike Leigh.
In 2000, Lesley joined the cast of the ITV series Where the Heart Is playing Anna Kirkwall.
Since 2008, she has played the role of Brenda Walker in the ITV soap opera Emmerdale. In 2013 after her character on Emmerdale was diagnosed with a Brain tumour, Dunlop shaved her head especially for the part.
- (2 April 2000). Interview: Lesley Dunlop - My daughters are where my heart is, Daily Mirror, Retrieved 17 December 2010
- (21 February 1996). Prison Left Me Drained, Daily Mirror, Retrieved 17 December 2010
- Emma Pryer (9 July 2013). "Emmerdale's Lesley Dunlop: Shaving my head for my toughest ever role brought back so much pain". Daily Mirror. Retrieved 2013-10-07.
- Barber, Richard (28 July 2001). Lesley Dunlop - At 45, why I'm feeling broody, Daily Mirror, Retrieved 17 December 2010
- Barber, Richard (13 July 2005). I'd rather be single than go out with a loser; TV'S LESLEY DUNLOP ON FINDING LOVE AFTER 40, Daily Mirror, Retrieved 17 December 2010