|Born||London, England, United Kingdom|
|Occupation||Curator of Tutbury Castle|
|Known for||Most Haunted|
Lesley Smith (born in London) is an English scholar, historian, heritage publicist and actress. She is the curator of Tutbury Castle and is perhaps best known as the resident historian on the television show Most Haunted Live! (2006–2009, 2010) and presenter of Most Haunted: Midsummer Murders. She has also been featured in a number of other television programmes.
Smith is the curator and lessee of Tutbury Castle, a position granted by the Duchy of Lancaster, for which she works as Public Relations Officer. Between 2000 (when she took up the position) and 2006, Smeith presided over a 12-fold increase in visitor numbers. To reward her achievements, in 2006 the University of Derby awarded Smith an honorary master’s degree. At the conferment of the degree, she was described as "a remarkable social historian of the 16th century who is passionate about and committed to raising public understanding of the subject."
Smith is also well known for her dramatic interpretations of Queen Elizabeth I and Mary, Queen of Scots, for which she dons authentic replica costumes. She performs regular ghost hunt evenings, in character, at Tutbury. She also takes these reenactments, as well as those of Nell Gwyn and Anne Boleyn, to theatrical and charitable venues.
Smith is a member of the Association of Medical Writer and is currently completing her PhD in "obstetrics and gynaecology in early modern Britain", working in conjunction with University of Birmingham and The British Museum. She has lectured there on her discoveries relating to 16th century contraception, such as the use of leather condoms, and citrus fruit as cervical caps. Smith is also a regular contributor to the Journal of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, and has delivered lectures to groups such as the Royal Institute of Chemists, Royal Society of Medicine and the Scottish Parliament at the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- The Hour (2011)
- The One Show (2011)
- In Bed With... (2008)
- Most Haunted: Midsummer Murders (2007)
- Most Haunted (2002, 2006–2009, 2010)
- The Worst Jobs in History (2004)
- The World's Biggest Ghost Hunt (2003)
- Predictions with Derek Acorah (2001)
Smith has also participated in a number of radio interviews for the BBC as well as local radio in the Derby area. In 2013 she took part in two interviews for EGH Media and a number of live paranormal investigations on the internet.
- "Lesley Gets a Degree (2007)". News, www.tutburycastle.com, reprinted from The Burton Mail (19th Jan 2007). Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- Conferment of the honorary degree of Master of the University, University of Derby
- "'Queen' Rewarded For Modern Day Castle Invasion". Press office, University of Derby (December 4, 2006). Retrieved 2007-08-09.
- Bess their souls, Lee Karen Stow, The Express, London, March 22, 2003
- Ghost writer, Lorne Jackson, Sunday Mercury, Birmingham, September 26, 2004
- Queen Lesley entertains the theatre crowd, Birmingham Mail, England, May 1, 2007
- Lesley Smith, Curator of Tutbury Castle | Tutbury Castle
- Q & A with Lesley Smith, Most Haunted website