Leslie G. Desmangles was born in Port-au-Prince (Haiti) on September 28, 1941. Professor Desmangles graduated from Eastern University in 1964 with a B.A. in Music, from Palmer Seminary in Philadelphia with an M. Div. in Theology, and from Temple University in 1975 with a Ph.D. in Anthropology of Religion, specializing in Caribbean and African Studies. He has been a professor at Trinity College since 1978 and is currently the Charles A. Dana Research Professor of Religion and International Studies. Leslie G. Desmangles has received awards from the Connecticut General Assembly and Governor John G. Rowland for commitment and service to the state of Connecticut, the Teacher of the Year award from the Haitian American Alliance and was honored by U.S. Ambassador William Swing in recognition for contributions in promoting mutual understanding between Haiti and the United States
- Desmangles, Leslie G. “African Interpretations of the Christian Vodou Cross.” In Invisible Powers: Vodou in Haitian Life and Culture. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, chapter 3, 2006.
- Desmangles, Leslie G. " Creolization of Religion." In Encyclopedia of Religion. Vol. 3, New York: The Macmillan Company, p. 2065–2069, 2005.
- Desmangles, Leslie G. " Vodou." In Encyclopedia of Religious Rituals. New York: Routledge, p. 437-440, 2003.
- Desmangles, Leslie G. " Understanding Caribbean Religions." In Understanding the Contemporary Caribbean. Lynne Rienner Publishers, Chapter 10, 2004.
- Desmangles, Leslie G., associate editor. Encyclopedia of African and African American Religions. New York: Routledge, 2001.
- Desmangles, Leslie G. Haiti in the Global Context. Edited inaugural issue of Journal of Haitian Studies, 1995.
- Desmangles, Leslie G., and Etzel Cardeña. "Trance Possession, Vodou Rituals and Psychotherapy in Haiti." In Jahrbuch fur Transkulturelle Medizin und Psychotherapie. Internationalen Instituts fur Kulturvergleichende Therapieforschung, Universitat Koblenz/ Landau, Nr 6. December 1995, pp. 297–307.
- Desmangles, Leslie G. The Faces of the Gods: Vodou and Roman Catholicism in Haiti. Chapel Hill and London: University of North Carolina Press. (A 1994 Choice outstanding academic book).
- "Faculty Profiles". Trinity College. Retrieved 22 June 2011.