Leslie Fox Prize for Numerical Analysis
The Leslie Fox Prize for Numerical Analysis of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) is a biennial prize established in 1985 by the IMA in honour of mathematician Leslie Fox (1918-1992). The prize honours "young numerical analysts worldwide" (any person who is less than 31 years old), and applicants submit papers for review. A committee reviews the papers, invites shortlisted candidates to give lectures at the Leslie Fox Prize meeting, and then awards First Prize and Second Prizes based on "mathematical and algorithmic brilliance in tandem with presentational skills."
First Prize Winners list
- 1985 - Lloyd N. Trefethen (inaugural prize winner)
- 1986 - J. W. Demmel and N. I. M. Gould 
- 1988 - Nicholas J. Higham
- 1989 - 3 first prizes: Martin Buhmann ("Multivariable cardinal interpolation with radial basis functions"), Bart De Moor ("The restrictricted singular value decomposition: properties and applications"), Andrew M. Stuart ("Linear instability implies spurious periodic solutions")
- 1991 - Christopher Budd and J. F. B. M. Kraaijevanger
- 1993 - Yuying Li
- 1995 - Adrian Hill
- 1997 - Wim Sweldens, "The Lifting Scheme: A Construction of Second Generation Wavelets" (1997)
- 1999 - Niles Pierce and Reha Tütüncü
- 2001 - Anna-Karin Tornberg
- 2003 - Jared Tanner
- 2005 - Roland Opfer and Paul Tupper
- 2007 - Yoichiro Mori and Ioana Dumitriu 
- 2009 - Brian Sutton 
- 2011 - Yuji Nakatsukasa 
- Report on the 12th Leslie Fox Prize Meeting, University of Dundee, 27 June 2005.
- 13th Leslie Fox Prize in Numerical Analysis, Oxford, 2007.
- "1989 Fox Prize Meeting", NA Digest, Oct. 8, 1989, v.89, n.39.
- Yuying Li, Resume on Cornell website confirming given name
- Hill's profile at Bath
- "Announcement of Fox Prize Winners", NA Digest, v.97, n.65 (1997, 8th prize)
- Professor Awarded the 14th Leslie Fox Prize in Numerical Analysis, 2008 Randolph-Macon College
- 14th Leslie Fox Prize, 2009 University of Warwick
- Past Leslie Fox Prize Winners