|Full name||Leslie William Mottram|
|Born||March 5, 1951|
|1989–2001||Scottish Premier League||Referee|
Leslie "Les" William Mottram (born 5 March 1951) is a retired football referee from Scotland best known for supervising two matches in the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the USA. Mottram also officiated at UEFA Euro 1996 in England, including the semifinal match between France and the Czech Republic. He is known to have served as a FIFA referee during the period from 1991 to 1996.
Mottram is best remembered in Scotland for an incident in a Scottish Football League match between Partick Thistle and Dundee United on February 13, 1993. United's Paddy Connolly "scored" with a sharp shot which hit the supporting stanchion in the back of the net and bounced out. As the United players celebrated, Thistle outfield player Martin Clark picked up the ball, expecting a kick-off following the "goal". Mottram, however, did not blow his whistle to indicate a goal and waved play-on, apparently assuming that the ball had hit the post. Given that interpretation, he should then have awarded a penalty kick against Martin Clark who had handled the ball, which he failed to do. The incident did not affect the outcome of the match, though, as Dundee United comfortably won 4-0.
Refereeing work in Japan
Mottram was invited to Japan in 1996. Although his original contract was only for 3 months, J. League organizers, who were impressed by his refereeing ability, offered long term contracts. He refereed 147 matches in J1, 15 in J2 and 25 in the J. League Cup during the seasons of 1996 to 2001, and received four most excellent referee awards in the 1998 to 2002 seasons. He retired from refereeing top league matches in 2002 and, at the same time, was appointed as the chief refereeing instructor by the Japan Football Association. He worked in this job for next four years and also had a seat on the discipline committee of the league for a short time. He was awarded a merit medal in the 2005 seasonal ceremony, then left Japan and went back to Scotland.
- FIFA. "Match Report - Korea Republic - Bolivia 0:0". 23 June 1994. Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- FIFA. "Match Report - Greece - Nigeria 0:2 (0:1)". 30 June 1994. Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- UEFA. "France 0-0 Czech Republic". 26 June 1996. Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- Kutschera, Ambrosius. "International Matches 1991 - Europe, July-December". RSSSF, 2 February 2005. Retrieved on 7 June 2013.
- Paul, Ian (27 May 1995). "Mottram puts blunder behind him on road to Hampden Final goal for ref who missed one". The Herald (Herald & Times Group). Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "Les Mottram interview". Soccerphile.com.
- "Dundee United A-Z ( P )". Dundee United FC. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- "レスリー故郷に帰る". Square.umin.ac.jp. Retrieved 10 January 2010.
- LESLIE MOTTRAM（レスリー・モットラム）, ZICO Official Site
- 2005Jリーグアウォーズ功労賞につい （05.11.15）]