The Leszczyński family was a magnate family. In 1473 (and not in 1476), Rafal Leszczyński obtained from Emperor Frederick III the title of count. This title was conferred on "the entire family". The last representative of the main family, Stanisław Leszczyński, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania and later Duke of Lorraine, died in 1766. The family name derives from Leszczyna, now a suburb of Leszno, Greater Poland. The family had its greatest importance in the late 16th and early 17th century when they were ardent supporters of Calvinism and turned their estates Leszno and Baranów Sandomierski into major centres of the Polish Reformed Church.
Coat of arms and motto
The Leszczyński family used the Clan Wieniawa arms and their motto was: "Qui Lescynsciorum genus ignorat, Poloniae ignorat"
Coat of Arms of Stanisław I Leszczyński as King of Poland and Prince of Lorraine
Notable family members
- Rafał Leszczyński (died 1441), Podkomorzy of Kalisz, general starost of Wielkopolska, progenitor of the Leszczyński family
- Rafał Leszczyński (c. 1526-1592), Voivode of Brześć Kujawski Voivodeship and castellan of Śrem
- Wacław Leszczyński (1576–1628), Voivode of Kalisz Voivodship, Great Chancellor of the Crown
- Rafał Leszczyński (1579–1636), Voivode of Belz Voivodship, leader of Polish Calvinists
- Jan Leszczyński (1603-1678), Great Chancellor of the Crown
- Wacław Leszczyński (1605–1666), Bishop of Warmia, Primate of Poland
- Przecław Leszczyński (1605-1670), Voivode of Dorpat Voivodship
- Andrzej Leszczyński (1606–1651), Palatine of Dorpat Voivodship
- Andrzej Leszczyński (1608–1658), Primate of Poland, Great Chancellor of the Crown
- Bogusław Leszczyński (1614–1659), Grand Treasurer and Deputy Chancellor of the Crown
- Jan Leszczyński (died 1657), Bishop of Kijów
- Samuel Leszczyński (1637-1676), poet, Voivode of Dorpat Voivodship
- Rafał Leszczyński (1650–1703), Grand Treasurer of the Crown
- Stanisław Leszczyński, (1677–1766), King of Poland and later Duke of Lorraine
- Maria Leszczyńska, (1703–1768), Queen of France, married to Louis XV of France
Ruins of the castle in Czartorysk
Castle in Baranow Sandomierski
Castle in Gołuchow
Palace in Krasnobród
Leszczyński Palace in w Warsaw
Palace in Leszno
Castle in Rydzyna was rebuilt in 1700 by Pompeo Ferrari on his order.
Château de Chambord, where he lived between 1725 and 1733.
Place Stanislas in Nancy was constructed between 1751 and 1755 .
Église Saint-Jacques in Lunéville was established by him in 1745.
Manor House of Rafał Leszczyński in Lublin
- Stanisław Karwowski, Leszczyńscy herbu Wieniawa, Lwów 1916
- Hanna Malewska, Panowie Leszczyńscy, 1961
- Zieliński, Ryszard (1978). Polka na francuskim tronie. Czytelnik.