Let It Enfold You
|Let It Enfold You|
|Studio album by Senses Fail|
|Released||September 7, 2004|
|Recorded||April–October 22, 2003|
|Senses Fail chronology|
Let It Enfold You is the second album by American rock band Senses Fail after From The Depths of Dreams as well as their first release on Vagrant Records. The album was originally intended to be released eight months earlier, but due to label complications the release of the album was delayed until September 7, 2004. Initial pressings also contained a bonus DVD. The album's title track was named after a poem of the same name by nihilistic author and poet Charles Bukowski. The album also spawned two singles, with music videos being made for both.
On November 1, 2005, a deluxe edition of the album was released, including five bonus tracks, plus a DVD with live content from the Taste of Chaos tour and both of the band's music videos. The album has sold over 300,000 copies since its release. As of March 29, 2012 Senses Fail has gone to release a limited edition white vinyl edition of the album on pre-order with the release date May 15, 2012. This was the first commissioning of the album on vinyl and was limited to 500 copies. The album is the last release to feature guitarist and founding member Dave Miller, who parted ways with the band in late 2005.
It was announced on April 4, 2012 that Senses Fail would release a greatest hits album entitled Follow Your Bliss: The Best Of Senses Fail which features "You're Cute When You Scream", " Rum Is For Drinking, Not For Burning", "Lady In a Blue Dress", "Bite to Break the Skin", and "Buried a Lie". 
Writing and recording
Many songs on the album take influence from poetry and literature. "The Irony of Dying on Your Birthday" was inspired by the work of mythologist Joseph Campbell, and "Slow Dance" contains lines from Dao De Jing. Nielsen said in a radio interview in 2006 that while writing Buried a Lie he just wanted to tell a story. He stated that he loved crime shows such as CSI and Law and Order, and wanted to have a song like that.
Nielsen commented on the recording of the album:
|“||We killed ourselves over and over trying to say what we wanted, and make the record the best it could be||”|
The album was met with generally positive reviews. The album currently holds a 3.6/5 rating by users on Sputnikmusic. Alex Henderson of Allmusic wrote, "on Let It Enfold You, Senses Fail doesn't bring anything new or different to the table; originality isn't a high priority on this album. Nonetheless, most of their material is catchy enough ("Lady in a Blue Dress" is arguably the CD's best song), and Senses Fail does have a knack for coming up with intriguing song titles—for example, "The Irony of Dying on Your Birthday," "NJ Falls Into the Atlantic" and "Rum Is for Drinking, Not for Burning."
All music by Senses Fail. All lyrics by Buddy Nielsen.
- "Tie Her Down" – 3:08
- "Lady in a Blue Dress" – 3:17
- "You're Cute When You Scream" – 2:25
- "Buried a Lie" – 2:59
- "Bite to Break Skin" – 3:31
- "Rum Is for Drinking, Not for Burning" – 2:43
- "Slow Dance" – 3:06
- "Choke on This" – 3:22
- "NJ Falls Into the Atlantic" – 3:48
- "Let It Enfold You" – 5:03
- "Irony of Dying On Your Birthday" – 2:59
- "Angela Baker and My Obsession With Fire" – 4:03
- "Martini Kiss" – 3:51
In addition to the first thirteen tracks, the deluxe edition of the album features the following:
- "Institutionalized" (Suicidal Tendencies cover) – 3:48
- "American Death" – 3:32
- "Lady in a Blue Dress (Acoustic)" – 3:21
- "Buried a Lie (Acoustic)" – 3:04
- "Rum Is for Drinking, Not for Burning (Acoustic)" – 3:04
Then And Now (2004 release):
- Original "187"
- "Steven" Short Cuts
- Worcester "187"
- First Tour
- Taco Bell Dumpster
- The Stripper (Buddy's Birthday)
- "Free Fall Without A Parachute" Video
- In The Studio
- "Bastard Son" Video
- I Want To Pee! (Japanese Video)
- "Let It Enfold You" - Buddy Explains
- The U.K. And Shakespeare
- "Rum Is For Drinking, Not For Burning" Video
- "Lady In A Blue Dress" Video
- You're Cute When You Scream: The Movie
- "You're Cute When You Scream" Video
- In The Beginning...
- Credits And Thanks
- The Future...
Live from the Taste of Chaos tour:
- "Bloody Romance"
- "You're Cute When You Scream"
- "Irony of Dying on Your Birthday"
- "Buried A Lie"
- "Rum is For Drinking, Not For Burning"
- Mike Glita – bass, backing vocals
- Dave Miller – guitars
- Buddy Nielsen – lead vocals, lyrics
- Dan Trapp – drums
- Garrett Zablocki – guitars, backing vocals
- Let It Enfold You at AllMusic
- "Senses Fail - Let It Enfold You (album review)". Sputnikmusic. 2005-01-14. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Senses Fail Biography". Sing365.com. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "The Ultimate Punk Music Store!". Interpunk.com. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Senses Fail Q&A Interview with Buddy Nielsen | Altsounds.com Features". Hangout.altsounds.com. 2008-11-24. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "“LET IT ENFOLD YOU” VINYL PRE-ORDER"". Senses Fail. 2012-03-29.
- "Buried A Lie by Senses Fail Songfacts". Songfacts.com. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- "Senses Fail reviews, music, news". sputnikmusic. 2010-10-25. Retrieved 2012-02-27.
- Henderson, Alex. "Let It Enfold You - Senses Fail". AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-02-27.