Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll (song)
|"Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll"|
|Single by Kiss|
|from the album Hotter Than Hell|
|Released||October 22, 1974 (US)|
|Recorded||The Village Recorder Studios, Los Angeles
|Label||Casablanca/Warner Bros. NB-9001 (US)|
|Writer(s)||Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley|
|Producer(s)||Kenny Kerner & Richie Wise|
|Kiss singles chronology|
"Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll" is a song by the American hard rock band Kiss, released in 1974. It was released as the only single from the second album Hotter Than Hell. Even though the song failed to chart, it is a staple in their live concerts. The B-side was the album title track "Hotter Than Hell". Gene Simmons penned the lyrics during a lunch break at his day job, and the song conveys romantic excitement: "'Cause baby's got the feeling/Baby wants a show/Baby won't you tell me/Baby rock & roll, yeah, yeah!". "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll" became a live favorite for Kiss.
The song is notable for being of one of few which had lyrics written before the music. It is based on a riff Paul Stanley had been working on. It was demoed for inclusion on the debut album, but was left off. Despite not being included on the album, it was performed during Kiss Tour, which was in support of the album.
Kiss have played this song live since their early days and finished the encores until the American leg of the Destroyer Tour, where it was replaced by "Black Diamond" and later "Rock and Roll All Nite". It has remained a concert staple and has appeared on many of the band's compilations.
The original song title was "Baby, Let Me Go" but soon changed by producer Kenny Kerner to "Rock 'n' Roll" before finally being titled "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll". When being performed live, the song would be extended to near five minutes, due to the solos (guitar and bass).
It had been always played until the 1977 Love Gun Tour, where it was excluded, but came back for the Alive II and Dynasty tours. Except for a club performance on September 8, 1993, the song was not played live from 1980 to 1995. It was returned to the set-list for the Reunion Tour. It was left out on the Rock the Nation Tour, but returned on the Alive 35 Tour and has been played ever since.
"Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll" has appeared on following albums:
- Hotter Than Hell – studio version
- Alive! – live version
- The Originals – studio version
- Double Platinum – studio version
- The Box Set – demo version
- Kiss Symphony: Alive IV – live version
- Gold – studio version
- Kiss Chronicles: 3 Classic Albums – studio version
- Kiss Alive! 1975–2000 – Alive! version
- Kiss Alive 35 – live version
- A-side – "Let Me Go Rock 'n' Roll"
- B-side – "Hotter Than Hell"
- Paul Stanley – rhythm guitar
- Gene Simmons – bass guitar, lead vocals
- Ace Frehley – lead guitar
- Peter Criss – drums, percussion
- "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll demo info - KissFaq-Wiki". Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "Let Me Go, Rock 'n' Roll song info - KissFaq-Wiki". Retrieved July 4, 2011.