Let Me Go (Gary Barlow song)
|"Let Me Go"|
|Single by Gary Barlow|
|from the album Since I Saw You Last|
|Released||15 November 2013|
|Gary Barlow chronology|
"Let Me Go" is a song by British singer-songwriter Gary Barlow. It was released in Ireland on 15 November 2013 and in the United Kingdom on 17 November 2013 as the lead single from his fourth solo album, Since I Saw You Last (2013). It was written by Barlow and produced by Steve Power. "Let Me Go" peaked at number two in the UK Singles Chart, becoming Barlow's sixth solo top 10 hit in the UK.
In November 2012, Barlow announced a concert tour, Gary Barlow: In Concert, which sold out minutes after going on sale. During these shows, Barlow played across the UK, when he began to consider returning to the studio to write what would become his first full length studio album in over 14 years. As Barlow began writing material for the album, Since I Saw You Last, he wrote "Let Me Go" and knew it should be the lead single.
Barlow revealed in a TV documentary that "Let Me Go" was written about the loss of his stillborn daughter Poppy and the traumatic period in his life which left him and wife Dawn devastated. He said that the song keeps Poppy's “flame” alive and is a “celebration” of her. Barlow added: “I don’t like there to be things that are unsaid really... and from that thing happening to my dad’s passing, there’s a lot of them in this record with me. “It should be a celebration that song, because in some respects, it’s alive that record and those lyrics and what it relates to. It keeps a life and a flame in the whole thing.”
"Let Me Go" has been described as an acoustic guitar-driven song with a catchy chorus. It represents a change in musical style to Barlow's past material. He attributes this to his listening of musical influences such as Johnny Cash when deciding which direction he wanted to take his record. He said: "I've always liked folky, acoustic music but I've never fully explored it. I turned back time and was listening to Johnny Cash and early Elton John before I wrote 'Let Me Go'".
The video was filmed in New York in September 2013 and was directed by Ben Winston. The video begins with Barlow walking through the streets of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, interacting with passers-by and shop workers trying to locate something. A person directs him to an old shop, which he leaves with a second hand piano. He then wheels the piano across Brooklyn and places it in the middle of a quiet street. He then leaves the piano and returns with two pieces of wood to use as a seat, before launching into the second verse of the song.
This attracts the attention of the surrounding neighbourhood, with musicians joining in with Barlow and the piano. Local people and Police officers soon gather around and join in with the song and dance around Barlow before everyone erupting into applause as the song draws to a close with Barlow looking around at everyone in gratitude and appreciation.
The song received its first radio play on BBC Radio 2 and Heart Radio, with Barlow being in attendance for both radio spins. "Let Me Go" was soon placed on the Radio 2 A Playlist and continues to be listed. Barlow also performed on the sixth live results show of the The X Factor on 17 November 2013. In addition, he performed the track on The Jonathan Ross Show on 23 November 2013.
Let Me Go entered the UK Singles Chart at number 3 with 72,423 copies sold in its first week on sale, giving Barlow his 21st top 3 UK single. The following week it rose to No. 2 selling a further 60,422 copies. In Scotland the single debuted at number 1, and entered the top ten in the Irish IRMA charts. For the third week in a row, "Let Me Go" remained in top 5 in the UK charts selling 33,512 copies and remained at no. 2 in the Scottish official chart. During its fourth week of release it once again sold over 30,000 copies, being certified Silver by the BPI. To date the single has sold over 400,000 copies in the UK and has been certified Gold, becoming his second solo single after Forever Love to achieve this sales milestone.
- Digital download
- "Let Me Go" – 3:38
- UK CD promo single
- "Let Me Go" (album version) – 3:40
- "Let Me Go" (instrumental version) – 3:40
Credits and personnel
- Gary Barlow – songwriter, vocals, additional keyboards, backing vocals
- Steve Power – producer
- Mark "Spike" Stent – mixer
- Ryan Carline – engineer, programming
- Rohan Onraet – engineer, percussion, programming
- Tim van der Kuil – guitar, banjo, pedal steel guitar
- John Parricelli – guitar
- Sam Dixon – double bass
- Jeremy Stacey – drums
- David Arch – piano
- Massimo Restaino – accordion
- Andy Caine – backing vocals
- Ami Richardson – backing vocals
- Tony Cousins – mastering
Credits adapted from Since I Saw You Last liner notes.
Charts and certifications
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 75)||32|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||90|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||10|
|Europe (Euro Digital Songs)||5|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||25|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||1|
|UK Download (Official Charts Company)||3|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||78|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||400,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Corner, Lewis (1 November 2013). "Gary Barlow solo shows sell out in minutes". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- Haider, Arwa (10 October 2013). "Gary Barlow: Take That come first – it’s my job". Metro (DMG Media). Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/gary-barlow-speaks-first-time-3489154#ixzz30eRtJZpN Gary Barlow speaks for first time about stillborn daughter Poppy, revealing hit Let Me Go keeps her "flame" alive The Mirror 02/05/14
- Eames, Tom (4 October 2013). "Gary Barlow announces new single, album 'Since I Saw You Last' details". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- Daniels, Colin (8 October 2013). "Gary Barlow: 'Johnny Cash inspired my new single'". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- Eames, Tom (7 October 2013). "Gary Barlow jams in New York in 'Let Me Go' music video - watch". Digital Spy.
- "Gary Barlow - Let Me Go". YouTube.
- Eames, Tom (4 October 2013). "Gary Barlow unveils new single 'Let Me Go' - listen". Digital Spy (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Radio 2 A Playlist". 8 November 2013.
- CONFIRMED! Gary Barlow to perform on X Factor 2013 this month - Little Mix's Move storms iTunes chart! | Unreality TV
- http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/calvin-harris-alesso-and-hurts-knock-lily-allen-off-number-1-2643/Calvin Harris and friends debut at Number 1 with Under Control, knocking Lily Allen’s Somewhere Only We Know off the top spot. http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/calvin-harris-alesso-and-hurts-knock-lily-allen-off-number-1-2643/
- http://www.musicweek.com/businessanalysis/read/official-charts-analysis-one-direction-lp-tops-230k-sales-to-become-2013-s-fastest-seller/056917 musicweek 02.12.13
- "Official Charts Analysis: Robbie LP sells 108k to claim UK's 1,000th Official No.1". Local UK News. 25 November 2013.
- http://www.musicweek.com/businessanalysis/read/official-charts-analysis-one-direction-sell-another-124k-of-new-album/057001 Musicweek 09.12.13
- BPI - Gary Barlow
- "The UK's Online Marketplace". eBay. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-22.
- Since I Saw You Last (Media notes). Gary Barlow. Polydor Records. 2013. 375 715-5.
- "Ultratop.be – Gary Barlow – Let Me Go" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Gary Barlow – Let Me Go" (in French). Ultratip.
- "HRT Croatian Airplay Chart - Let Me Go". Croatian Radiotelevision. 11 January 2014.
- "Chart Search Results – Euro Digital Songs 2013-11-16". Billboard. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- "Chart Track: Week 47, 2013". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "Archive Chart" UK Download Chart.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- The Official Top 40 Biggest Artist Singles Of 2013
- "British single certifications – Gary Barlow". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 5 July 2014. Enter Gary Barlow in the field Search. Select Artist in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go