Let My Love Open the Door
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
|"Let My Love Open the Door"|
|Single by Pete Townshend|
|from the album Empty Glass|
|A-side||Let My Love Open the Door|
|Pete Townshend singles chronology|
A cover of this song was recorded by Audio Adrenaline, with the interpretation of "my love" referring to God's love. This may be consistent with the composer's intent: In the liner notes of Townshend's Gold (Remaster) CD, he refers to this song as "Jesus sings". It was also covered by M. Ward (for the 2005 Starbucks compilation album, Sweetheart 2005: Love Songs), and by Pete Townshend's own band The Who. Sherie Rene Scott covered the song on her 2001 album ...Men I've Had. A cover of this song was also recorded by Michael Cavanaugh. In 2013 Great Big Sea released a cover on their twentieth anniversary album XX.
Actors Steve Carell and Dane Cook are credited with a cover version featured in the 2007 film Dan in Real Life. This version was arranged by Sondre Lerche, who also recorded a cover for the soundtrack of the film.
In July 2012, the Honda Motor Company used this song in a TV commercial advertisement campaign.
List of films and TV shows featuring the track
The song has been used frequently in film, most notably the comedy genre, often as trailer music for movies such as Jerry Maguire and How Do You Know, and then as end credit song for Mr. Deeds in 2002; Jersey Girl and Along Came Polly, both in 2004. It was featured in the following films and TV series:
- Look Who's Talking (1989)
- Grosse Pointe Blank as "E. Cola Mix" (1997)
- Mr. Deeds (2002)
- Jersey Girl as "E. Cola Mix" (2004)
- Along Came Polly (2004)
- Click (in trailers) (2006)
- Evan Almighty (2007)
- Dan in Real Life (2007)
- Doctors (soap opera), season 11, episode 106 (2009)
- Old Dogs (2009)
- How Do You Know (in trailers) (2010)
- Take Me Home Tonight as "E. Cola Mix" (2011)
- Red Dog (2011)
- Hit and Run (2012)
- The Newsroom (2012) - cover by Luminate used in the second season finale, "Election Night, Part II" (September 15, 2013)
- The Goldbergs, season 1 "Why're You Hitting Yourself?" (2013) the "E. Cola Mix" played at end before credits.